What are you Baking the Week of August 27, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of August 27, 2023?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Nothing specific planned yet here yet, though I need to make peanut butter cookies.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I ran out of steam last night after making the crust for the blueberry pie, so I baked it Sunday morning and served it for dessert tonight. These blueberries are from last year's freezer batch.

I also noted that we were running out of cookies, so I baked the King Arthur recipe for Spiced Rye Cookies.

BakerAunt
        Participant

On Monday, I baked a half recipe of my adaptation of The Shipyard's Zucchini Muffins. Given how rapidly they are disappearing, I should have baked the double recipe!

skeptic7
          Participant

I haven't had the energy or the stove to bake anything. I liked the King Arthur spiced rye cookies when I made them several years ago.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I made my peanut butter cookies this afternoon and will be making a chocolate zucchini cake this evening, covering it with the pecan frosting from the Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake recipe.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I made another batch of zucchini muffins, since I already had zucchini shredded. I made these as six large muffins. I also baked ten Whole Wheat/Rye/ Semolina buns.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I made sourdough pan pizza for dinner on Thursday. I tried a new combination for the topping. I made the sauce out of cherry tomatoes with a dash of balsamic vinegar. I topped with Canadian bacon, mushrooms, a few black olives on my side, and 4 oz. of goat cheese. The goat cheese goes well with the cherry tomatoes but does not work exactly with the Canadian bacon. I think goat cheese would be better in a vegetarian pizza.

After dinner, I baked Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers from dough I had in the refrigerator.

chocomouse
                  Participant

I made dried fruit muffins, with the addition of lime flavoring. I used apricots, mangos, pineapple, cherries, and coconut. And topped them with lime streusel.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I had a busy day of baking on Friday in preparation for my bonus daughter and her boyfriend's visit. I baked an adaptation of Mumphy's Peanut Butter Honeys (recipe at Nebraska Kitchen). I had accidentally bought a no-stir peanut butter. It was the same company and the same design as the natural peanut butter I always buy, but I did not read the full label. So, I am using this jar for baking. For the adaptation, I replaced the flour with white whole wheat and used 3 Tbs. of avocado oil. I also added 1 Tbs. Bob's Red Mill milk powder. The cookies baked well, except that the second sheet, which I baked at the same temperature as the first sheet for the same length of time, burned on the bottom. My husband and I ate the evidence. The cookies came out well, but they are not as sweet as most peanut butter cookies, which I had noticed back when I baked the recipe some years ago with butter. I think that I might add a bit of brown sugar next time.

My second baking project was the Squash Whole Wheat Oat quick bread because I had part of a zucchini left to grate from the baking projects earlier in the week. I set aside a cup of the grated zucchini to use in Saturday's dinner and used the other two cups to make four loaves in my Nordic Ware 4-well loaf pan. I used cinnamon chips in the batter, and they stuck, so one loaf was a bit crumbly, but I was able to freeze the other three.

My final baking project was three loaves of my Oat Bran Whole Wheat Bread. I have been refining this recipe that I adapted from Peter Reinhart's Oat Bran Bread. I have felt the last few times that the finished bread needs to be a bit softer, so I increased the olive oil--which I had added to the original recipe--from 4 to 5 Tbs.--which made for a slightly softer dough. (The idea occurred to me because I baked Len's buns earlier in the week, and I compared the oil content of that single-loaf recipe with what I was using for a three-loave recipe.) The loaves came out beautifully, except that as I was putting them in to bake, one slipped slightly and got a bit of a dent on one end, which turned into a giant air pocket in the oven. We will eat that one first. As soon as I am satisfied with this recipe, I will post it at Nebraska Kitchen.

My husband helped me tackle the dishes from the baking and cooking, or I would have been up even later than I was.

chocomouse
                      Participant

I made 2 loaves of the KAF recipe for Vermont Whole Wheat Oatmeal Honey Bread, which I have made many times and we really like it. I skip the cinnamon and use oil instead of the butter. But it rises soooo high, like 6 inches above the sides of two 8 x 4 pans, and makes huge slices. Now I've made a note on my recipe to make it into 3 pans or 2 pans and a dozen buns.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.