What are you Baking the Week of August 13, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of August 13, 2023?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I've tried two different tangzhong cinnamon roll recipes, including the King Arthur one, but I think I like the other one better. I think it's still on the tarateaspoon.com site.

skeptic7
      Participant

I went to read the recipe in the tarateaspoon.com site and found it almost identical to the KA Flour recipe. That having been said I don't understand why KAF had sugar in the original Japanese milk roll recipe and then took it out of the Cinnamon rolls. I know its common to use butter the layers of a cinnamon roll and then spread cinnamon sugar on it, but I've left out butter in that area and been very pleased.
        I think I'm going to start with the Japanese Milk Bread rolls and then turn it into cinnamon rolls. After baking I'll probably make a maple syrup icing if it seems to need it.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I prefer to make a compound butter/sugar/cinnamon and spread it on with an offset spatula, I find the butter doesn't soak in to the dough as much that way, and it really reduces the amount of spillage you get when you cut the rolls.

BakerAunt
          Participant

When we grocery shopped on Tuesday, my husband looked at the marked down bananas and asked if I were going to bake banana bread, which is his way of saying he would like banana bread. Thursday was cool and rainy in the morning, so it was perfect for baking. I used a banana cake recipe that I found on the internet last year and adapted. It fits perfectly into the Nordic Ware 4-loaf Bundt pan. This time, I lowered the temperature to 325F for baking, since the pan is heavy and is one of the older dark ones. They baked perfectly in 40 minutes. I froze two but left two out for us to start eating with tea or for dessert tomorrow. I like this recipe as it only uses ½ cup light brown sugar and it uses oil rather than butter.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I made another batch of peanut butter cookies today.

skeptic7
              Participant

I didn't have enough milk when I was making the cinnamon rolls so I put buttermilk in instead. Now the rolls are on their final rise before baking and they are just sitting there instead of rising to be nice and fluffy. I'm willing to wait for a while longer but what could be going wrong?

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

The acid in buttermilk can impact yeast growth and also cause some of the gluten chains to break, both of which would affect how much the dough rises.

Many recipes that use buttermilk call for a little baking soda to help neutralize the acid.

chocomouse
                  Participant

That's interesting, Mike. I don't recall any yeast recipes that call for buttermilk, so it makes sense. However, I've read in several places that adding an acid to yeast bread recipes helps the rise, and indeed, several of my rye recipes call for an acid (specifically, dill pickle juice).

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I developed a buttermilk rye bread years ago, it is good but a bit dense, the buttermilk may be a factor in that, though many rye breads are also somewhat dense.

It may be that the acid in buttermilk is stronger than that in a teaspoon of vinegar (like in the double-crusty bread) or that there are other things in buttermilk that impact the structure of the bread.

If this is a sweet dough, an osmotolerant yeast might work better.

Hopefully time will resolve this for you.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I always use buttermilk in my breads and cinnamon rolls. I have not noticed a problem in the rise. I do think that because buttermilk is thicker than water, sometimes it helps to increase the water by a tablespoon or two. It seems to me that buttermilk helps the rise. In the case of the buttermilk maple bread that I and Chocmouse like to bake, there is a substantial rise.

skeptic7
                        Participant

I think rye breads need an acid. I do know that too much yogurt or buttermilk doesn't work with all whole wheat breads it softens the gluten too much. But I've make buttermilk cinnamon swirl white breads before without noticing any particular problems.
                          My cinnamon rolls turned out acceptable but a little small. I was hoping for the high light fluffiness of the Japanese milk bread instead of my slightly dense normalish rolls. I am going to have to try this again without the buttermilk. they will probably be good with maple frosting.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.