Thread…Twin2 on her sourdough use and recipes

Home Forums Threads Saved from the KAF Baking Circle Thread…Twin2 on her sourdough use and recipes

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    S_Wirth
    Participant

• Reply by twin2 on June 17, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I've made untold numbers of these loaves or rolls or sweet rolls with this recipe. I used to have a bakery and this was our mainstay recipe. Made all sorts f things out of it.

To make the Sourdough starter:

8 medium potatoes
      1/2 cup sugar
      1 Tablespoon yeast
      1 Quart lukewarm distilled water
      2 level Tablespoons salt

Boil the potatoes, peel and mash very fine. Add lukewarm water, sugar, salt and yeast. Put this mixture into a glass or pottery bowl and cover. Set in a warm place (85 9 0 degrees) for 5 hours. Then put into a glass or plastic container. Keep in a cool place and use when 24 hours old.

Do not seal lid on glass jars. It could cause glass to shatter.

Before making your dough feed the starter:

To feed the stater, add for each cup of reserved starter:

1/2 cup sugar
      1 cup warm distilled water
      3 Tablespoons potato flakes

Mix well and add to starter. After feeding the starter, leave out all day (8-12 hours) or overnight, until very bubbly.

Use one cup of the starter to make one batch of dough. Refrigerate the rest or make another batch of something. Always reserve one cup and of the starter and return it to the refrigerator to feed and use after a rest of at least three days.

To make the bread:

1 cup starter
      1/2 canola oil
      1/2 cup sugar
      1 1/2 teaspoons salt
      1 1/2 cups water
      Bread Flour, about 6 cups
      1 Tablespoon yeast

Mix together until you have a nice dough that leaves the side of the bowl but is still soft. Knead by hand or electric mixer until you have a nice windowpane. Allow to raise until doubled. Shape as desired.

Makes 3 loaves of bread. Or you can make dinner rolls or sweet rolls or cinnamon buns etc., you decide.

Allow to raise until almost doubled. Bake at 350 degrees until you get a temperature of 205 degrees on an instant read thermometer. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.

Also makes delicious cinnamon or cinnamon raisin bread. For the dinner rolls, I used to -cut the sugar in the dough step in half.

• Reply by Lisa Moon on June 18, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Thank you so much for the recipe and advice! So, while I am not using the Starter, should I just refridge it? Also, does the Starter need to be fed weekly?

• Reply by twin2 on June 18, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Yes, you keep it in the refrigerator after you remove what you need for your recipe(s). Always save at least one cup. Let it rest for at least three days, then feed it and use it again per instructions. I forgot to mention that you never use a metal spoon or bowl for this bread starter. When making the dough batches you can use stainless steel mixing bowls on your stand mixer, or the bread machine. Never use aluminum to mix the dough. I did that one time with an old-fashioned dough bucket and it turned the bread dough grey! You don't have to feed it every week. It can go as long as a month, but more frequent feedings will keep it more active.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.