The End of the Amtrak Dining Car

Home Forums General Discussions The End of the Amtrak Dining Car

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

It's been a long time since I ate in a dining car, and I'm sorry that I won't have the chance to do so again:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/the-end-of-an-american-tradition-the-amtrak-dining-car/ar-AAHE3Xs?ocid=spartandhp

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

The last time I ate on an Amtrak dining car was about 18 years ago.I had a steak, baked potato, apple pie with ice cream.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

When I was in high school I took the (pre-Amtrak) City of New Orleans from Chicago to New Orleans and back. I was probably too young to appreciate the dining experience then.

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

I don't know if I've ever even been on an Amtrak train with a dining car. The only over night trips I took were to Boston and back in 1980 for college. After the one time I started taking the Hopscotch flights on Piedmont Airlines! Four stops between Logan and O'Hare but one way was under $100.

The article says that millennials do not like big communal tables but it's the way many of the hipper restaurants in Boston and New York are going. Maybe it's become passe and is on its way out.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Growing up in NW Illinois we would sometimes take the train (Burlington Northern or Rock Island Line, both went through Savanna with separate stations) from Savanna to Chicago with my mother's folks. The BN Zephyrs would usually have a dining car and my grandfather loved eating in it. It was a 2 to 2 1/2 hour train trip, so there was time for the dining car. (The Illinois Central went through Galena, not Savanna.)

It was a sad day for train travel when Amtrak took over passenger rail service.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.