Rural Nebraskan making artisan vinegars

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) Rural Nebraskan making artisan vinegars

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

A friend visited their shop on a 'camping' trip, some of their vinegars are REALLY expensive. I've got some balsamic vinegars, they haven't really impressed me, but she said theirs tasted incredible.

See Vinegars

Spread the word
      aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

Years ago I met a couple from Modena whose family had been making vinegar for hundreds of years. They had barrels of the stuff that had been passed down from generation to generation and aged and aged and aged. They could be HUGELY expensive. Her parents had given her and her husband a small bottle of several ounces as a wedding present. Very different from even the expensive stuff we can buy in the grocery stores here.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I've heard that a lot of what is being sold as balsamic vinegar is artificially aged (ie, not in oak casks) and really poor quality compared to the expensive stuff. I've never really cared for balsamic vinegar, maybe I just haven't tasted a good one.

Our friend went to a tasting at the western Nebraska place, she had a sample of some balsamic vinegar that was priced at over $100 for a small bottle, she said it was unlike anything she'd ever tasted.

There are instructions for making balsamic vinegars in the Noma book, but it is a complicated process and even the Noma team wasn't sure how good their stuff would get over time.

My carrot and celery vinegars are interesting, so far I use the celery one more than I do the carrot one.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.