Mini splurge at Restuarant supply store

Home Forums General Discussions Mini splurge at Restuarant supply store

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    skeptic7
    Participant

I went into a Restuarant supply store for some cheap tablespoons and cheap measuring cup set and cheap spatulas and ended up spending a whole lot of money on some items which were only cheap if you do mental comparisons to William Sonoma, and Sur La Table and higher end store. I kept thinking that I've know this store for decades, that if I didn't buy something I might never get the opportunity and that I really needed a good quality heat resistant spatula or two, a quality cookie scoop or two, a nice rolling pin .... I kept telling myself that at least I didn't even look at pans and half sheets but maybe I can go back. I was basically telling myself if I am stuck here over the holidays I could use some quality baking tools. Of course I still don't have a whisk or a good spoon or .....
      there is something evil about restaurant stores. Particularly friendly ones.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Skeptic--almost any place beats Williams-Sonoma these days. They no longer have free shipping unless one is a member of their $90 a year club. (I do not order THAT much from them.) I loved the restaurant store in Lubbock and had to be stern with myself.

Yes, you deserve quality bakeware while stuck away from home, and the good part is that you can take it home with you--the souvenirs that keep on giving!

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Kitchen stores are tempting enough but real restaurant supply stores are downright dangerous! I love visiting the Strip District in Pittsburgh, there are multiple restaurant supply stores and PennMac, where there are types of cheese I've never seen anywhere else, and you can get samples of them. K&B Candy Supply in the Pittsburgh area has Wilton pans I've never seen anywhere else.

The cake supply place near Opryland in Nashville is open again, as SweetCity, but I haven't been there since it changed ownership and I don't know if they still carry as much stuff, their new website doesn't impress me, though.

Thankfully, there isn't a Gordon Food Services near us, though some GFS outlets seem better than others. Sysco isn't open to the public, nor is Restaurant Supply Depot in Omaha. Hockenbergs closed their Lincoln store, but they still have one in Omaha. There's a Sur la Table in Omaha, but somehow it never impresses me.

The other thing that is real dangerous for both of us is a good used book store.

Italiancook
          Participant

I've been in a restaurant supply store only once. It was an expedition finding it but so worth the effort. All of a sudden, I had a Need for items I never knew I needed. I wanted things I had never thought about wanting. My husband was with me, and even he was enamored. I use everything we purchased, so I guess we needed it all. Because it was an expedition away, we never went back. Oh, but it's a fun memory being there.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.