Measuring

Home Forums General Discussions Measuring

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rascals1
    Participant

I know a lot of you measure by weight but do you use ounces or grams. which is best for an old country cook like me.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Most of the time I use ounces, but I have one bread recipe I'm developing that uses grams, and my pie dough recipes (from SFBI) are in grams. I even have a micro-scale capable of measuring in 1/10th of a gram increments for measuring things like salt.

It sort of depends on the recipe, and not that many are written in grams yet.

KIDPIZZA
        Participant

I know a lot of you measure by weight but do you use ounces or grams. which is best for an old country cook like me.

Good morning Rascals1:
          Whereas weighing ingredients promotes consistency in our baked products it is imperative to employ this system in baking very large quanities of baked products. However for us amateurs it is okay to employ the volume basis of measuring. If this makes you feel more comfortable, than use it. I will just say this to you...If you do have a scale just use for the flour only. Flour weight can vary quite a bit in cup measures.
          Anyway Rascals if you get any recipes that interest you in weight measures & you cannot determine in volume measure feel free to ~ Mail it to me & I will convert it for you just like I used to do it for member PENELOPE on the old BAKING CIRCLE.

Have a nice day.

~KIDPIZZA.

cwcdesign
          Participant

I mostly use ounces because visually it makes more sense. Sometimes I will use grams but I don't have a "feel" for the measurements yet. I know this doesn't sound very clear, but I know what a cup of flour (4.25 ounces per KAF) looks like, but I don't know what gram measurements look like. I know that may sound silly and I also know that weighing by grams can be a little more accurate,but weighing ounces is what I'm comfortable with.

BakerAunt
            Participant

If I decide to use weights for KAF recipes, I always use grams, since they otherwise have fractions of ounces.

For the most part, I'm still a volume measurer unless it's a cake, in which case I weigh ingredients. I do think, however, that my pizza dough came out better last time because I did it by weight.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

My big scale can do .05 ounce or 1 gram increments. Since there are 28.3495 grams per ounce, the 1 gram increments are slightly more precise. But I don't think it makes much difference whether you are measuring 3 1/8 ounces as 3.10 or 3.15 instead of 3.125.

Rascals1
                Participant

thank you all very much

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.