Kitchen appliances

Home Forums General Discussions Kitchen appliances

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

We replaced the microwave in our kitchen a few years back , the keypad is wearing out on the new one, my guess is we'll have to replace it again in the next year or two. This one is a Panasonic from Best Buy.

BakerAunt
      Participant

I still have the Panasonic microwave that I bought at Best Buy about 14 years ago. My only complaint is that the light burned out (always was on when the door is opened--and my husband kept leaving it opened) and it cannot be replaced without a service person, which would likely be more expensive than a new microwave.

There is an Abt in a suburb of Chicago where our friends bought their washing machine. They spoke highly of the store, and delivery to our area is free. My concern is having to deal with the stove manufacturer if anything were to go wrong, and the reviews for F&P suggest that things go wrong quickly.

Good to see you posting again, Rottiedogs. Viking seems to be one of those brands that was excellent but has slipped over the past couple of years with an ownership change, although my understanding is that now a new company owns it.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
        RiversideLen
        Participant

Another thumbs up for Abt. I bought a fridge, washer and dryer and dishwasher from them over the past 3 years. Delivery was pretty quick and installation had no problems.

KIDPIZZA
          Participant

Abt is in Deerfield, IL. All our TV’s save one have come from there. Also my Viking cook top is from there. When my hunk of junk oven/microwave quits, I’ll be going there for the replacement. Never any issues when dealing with them. I’ve had the Viking for a little over 10 years and have no complaints.

ROTTIEDOGS:
            Good afternoon. I have noticed your absence in this baking forum. I was thinking in asking anyone in this forum on how to reach you. I am happy that your back.
            I remember some time ago you were interested in the subject "ITALIAN ROLLS" made with a special stamp made in ITALY...Well I have an extra one
            Anyway if you are still interested in the stamp you can E~Mail
            me & we can discuss it. If you do.... in the subject box USE CAPS WRITE BAKING FORUM. It will arrive in my junk box I will see it & not delete it. Also if you post your PHONE# I will call you.
            Enjoy the weekend.

~KIDPIZZA (CASS)

rottiedogs
            Participant

I am glad to be able to post again. Wrist issues have prevented anything not strictly necessary from being done.

Kidpizza I am for sure interested in the stamp. I do not have your email address though. I didn't see you on the list Swirth sent out. You can email me if you would like at rottiepuppies(at)att(dot)net. Thank you for thinking of me.

BakerAunt
              Participant

My husband and I visited a Ferguson's showroom this morning. It's a store that has upscale bath and kitchen items. They did not have a particularly large selection of freestanding ranges on the floor, which is fine, since there is no Ferguson's near where we will be living in Indiana. What we wanted was to be able to see some ranges and look at how they are set up. The salespeople did not seem to be particularly knowledgeable. I think that I know more from our discussions here as well as the research I've been doing. There were very few dual fuel ranges, mostly cooktops and wall ovens or under the cooktop mounted ovens.

They did have one all-gas BlueStar, so I looked at it, but for me the unsealed burners are a deal breaker. They had the 48" (I think) Thermador dual fuel. I'd probably buy another 30" Thermador if I knew that I could get it serviced when needed. I really like the burners. There was also a large Wolf. I also looked at the cooktops and ovens.

While I did not see a range that is "the one," it was helpful to look at controls. If we were to go with separate cooktop, I want the controls where they will not get splattered--so in the front not on top. I like that on the stand alone range as well. I also like the burner grids to be flush with one another so that I can easily move pots around. When we go appliance shopping in the Midwest, I'll take along my large pan to make sure that it will fit.

I was amused to see a Wolf four slice toaster, with a price of $400. Let them eat toast!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

There's a Ferguson showroom near us, we did some of the planning for our house there. I don't specifically remember seeing kitchen appliances on the floor, but that was 20 years ago.

We went to Nebraska Furniture Mart in Omaha, they had a lot more stuff on display. But we also went to the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) annual trade show in Houston in early 1996, because there were just too many things that we couldn't look at locally. We found quite a few things there that we hadn't previously considered, too. (For example, we wound up ordering 3 Kindred stainless steel sinks from Canada because at that time there were no USA manufacturers making sinks in the large sizes we wanted.)

We had selected our builder by then, and, in fact, he was getting a national award at that NAHB convention. We were able to meet up with him in Houston on the trade show floor and show him most of the things we were looking at. I figure that little trip probably cost us about $50,000 in add-ons. 🙂

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Last week my husband and I were in Mishawaka, so we stopped by an appliance store with an excellent reputation. It also has a service department, so they service the appliances they sell. In fact, they will not sell an appliance that they are not allowed to service.

I looked at a DCS. The store only had a gas one on the floor and it was the 36-inch one. (It also was sold.) I also looked at the Thermador. The one they had out is a dual fuel. It, too, was a 36-inch. The sales representative was knowledgeable--very different from the surface oriented sales person at the store in Texas. I am now leaning toward the Thermador 30-inch dual-fuel Pro Harmony Range. I really like the star burners. It also has a larger oven capacity than the 30-inch DCS. I was happy to see that Thermador has gone back to knobs rather than the electronic readouts, which I suspect may have been a major issue in the earlier generation dual-fuel ranges they produced.

The salesperson told us that DCS and Thermador have the best record for not needing service calls. If I could, I would buy the 36-inch, but I know that 1) I'm dealing with a small kitchen area, and 2) I rarely need that much oven space. It would be nice when baking three cake layers or if I wanted to bake more than three loaves of bread at a time, but I do not do that often. I also have access to a second electric range in the apartment (now dubbed guest house) over our garage. It's just a short walk across the backyard if I ever have two different items that need baking at the same time. There is a third, biggest consideration: It would cost an additional $2000. While Thermador is offering a "buy 2, get dishwasher free" deal, that will not be of use to us, as my husband and I will not have a dishwasher. Most of my china is older and would not tolerate the caustic soaps, and I'd rather have the storage space for dishes and pans. (I will be able to store specialty pans in the guest house kitchen.)

I was shocked at how much range hoods cost. While I do not need the high powered one, as my range will not have a grill or griddle, even the least expensive Thermador hood still costs a lot. (I'm also not into designer hoods as focal points.)

Now I need to think about the refrigerator. I was going to get one with the French doors on top, but I've learned from friends that these have problems because of the closing mechanism on those top doors. The seal is likely to be better with the traditional wide door.

I will need to think about location in the kitchen area. I'll be starting a kitchen remodeling thread, so I will take up that subject when I do.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

We seldom use the grill or griddle on our 48" dual fuel range, but I have never regretted for a moment buying the big range hood. If you fry, if you have things spill on the oven floor, if you reduce large pots of liquids (like stocks), a high powered vented fan will be very useful.

And, no, they're not cheap.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Thanks, Mike. That's good to know. I was happy with the least expensive of the Thermador stove hoods years ago when I bought the first range. It was not cheap (although prices have gone up), and it was powerful enough for any job I asked it to do (like venting out smoke when I burned something and the fire detector went off). After years of the conventional hoods they install in apartments, that Thermador hood was a revelation. I will likely go that way again.

Italiancook
                        Participant

It's certainly not an appliance, but have you considered a motion sensor kitchen faucet for your remodel? I'm having one installed soon. I'm looking forward to not having to touch control knobs to turn on the water when I want to wash my hands after touching chicken. I've talked with people who have one, and they're pleased with this faucet. The problem is that you can't hang a dishrag over it, because it'll mess up the motion sensor. So owners have to have some kind of a set-up for the wet cloth.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Commercial kitchens often have a foot-pedal control for water, but I don't think I've ever seen a home kitchen with one. I tend to prefer kitchen faucets where the faucet is a pull-out sprayer, I don't think they make a motion-sensing version of that.

Italiancook
                            Participant

After reading your post, Mike, I hurried to call the plumbing store where the faucet will be purchased. I was told that the one that's being bought for me does have the pull-out sprayer. But I was also told there's more than one model of them, so there may be some variances between models -- or even brands. But it certainly is a good thing to check before buying. The pull-out sprayer is quite helpful.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

We have a Moen and a Price-Pfister pull-out style faucet in our two kitchen sinks. Of the two, I think the cheaper Price-Pfister might actually work better.

Both are replacements for the original Kohler faucets we put in, both of which had separate hose sprayers that just didn't work well for us.

I've not spent a lot of time working in commercial kitchens, mostly when taking classes, but I kind of like the spring-loaded sprayers I've used there. They're not very pretty, though.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Italian-Cook and Mike--You bring up a vexed topic in our house: the kitchen faucet.

Our house is on well water, and we quickly discovered, after ruining a load or two of clothes, that there is a lot of iron in the water, and it is hard water. The iron discolors. It also seems to corrode plumbing fixtures. I would not drink the water (and the dog we had would not drink it). My husband went on about that great iron taste but found that it did disagree with him. When we had the first remodeling phase done 3 1/2 years ago, we put in a water softening system, although my husband hated the idea. However, he insisted that the water to the kitchen sink cold faucet be "raw" water. Part of the reason is that he wants to be able to water plants. (He is a retired plant physiologist.)

As we plan the kitchen renovation, I have serious problems with the raw water at the kitchen sink, even as my husband complains that the soft water does not get the soap off of hands. I like the "stick shift" faucet, but that will not work with raw water in the cold. I'd not thought much about the pull out sprayer faucet. On the home shows, the people seem to want them just for show. However, I now realize that they would be very useful for cleaning pots, and I do plan on having a farmhouse style sink.

I've been suggesting to my husband that he needs a separate sink with raw water.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.