Kitchen appliances

Home Forums General Discussions Kitchen appliances

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

South Bend is about 80 miles into Indiana, but Schaumburg is in the NW suburbs, so you have to factor in another hour or more on the Chicago freeways. The Bolingbrook store would be closer anyway, that's further south in the west suburbs.

There's definitely an art to baking bread in a convection oven, I haven't mastered it but I'm not sure how good the convection fan is in my DCS range. I have been using it for the first part of baking fruit pies lately.

I'm tempted to try turning it down to 275-300 and see how it does then.

A deck oven is kind of a convection oven on steroids, but I've never had a chance to use one of those, either.

My older son's house has a Fisher and Paykel dual wall oven, it's got more cooking cycles than I've got fingers.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Mike Nolan.
      aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

I found this range. It does not appear to have a sealed burner but it would fit ANYWHERE!

I had a Fisher Paykel washer and dryer years ago. The dryer had an Easter egg and when buttons were pressed in a certain sequence it would play the theme from Star Wars.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Google does not recognize DCR dual fuel ranges. It pulls up Electrolux, Dacor, and Wolf (Sub-Zero).

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

Somehow I turned DCS into DCR. Sorry about that. You can start here.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

The brand is DCS, not DCR.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster
                BakerAunt
                Participant

I got a look at the DCS. I cannot quite tell how the oven controls work. I note that there are knobs, but the pictures do not show how the oven displays temperature, etc.

It's a nice looking range, but it would definitely be a splurge.

I'll check out the Thor.

Two people reviewing the ThorKitchen commented that the knobs and front get hot when the oven is on.

I do like the idea of not having to deal with electronic pads.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
                  KIDPIZZA
                  Participant

Here’s a brand I had not heard of: Thor.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Thor-Kitchen-30-in-4-2-cu-ft-Dual-Fuel-Range-in-Stainless-Steel-HRD3088U/300401499?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D29-Appliances%7c&gclid=CjwKEAjwpJ_JBRC3tYai4Ky09zQSJAC5r7rukO04UgXZaryvMC1eRZsU-ALM6g7FgUrlzwpVIe3aMxoCHpPw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

MIKE NOLAN:
                    Good afternoon. I thought you would like to know that the brand name "THOR" is a word that I have not seen nor heard for many many years. After WWII THOR was the most popular brand name in WASHER/DRYERS. In that period of time when the war was over every one had a lot of money saved up because there wasn't anything to buy during the war years due to the war effort shortages. SOOO, everyone now was buying out all the appliance stores of washer/ dryers, fridge, DDUMONT, ADMIRAL & PHILCO TV's. Just a few more names we do not see anymore.

Enjoy the rest of the day.

~CASS.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I don't see a display panel, so it seems likely that the oven dial just has temperatures notches on it, like mine does. Mine has buttons to select things like broil, bake, convection, I don't see those, so there may be 2 knobs to control the oven, one to set the mode and one to set the temperature.

It looks like they've made a lot of changes in 20 years.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I was able to find some additional information at a dealer site. Apparently, the oven dial glows white while the oven is preheating, then it turns to orange when it is at temperature. On the self-clean cycle, it is red. They have a video of it here:

http://www.bobmillers.com/appliances/cooking/ranges/dual-fuel-ranges/dcs-fisher-paykel-30-free-standing-dual-fuel-range-stainless-steel-rdv2-304-l.html

I do not know if that limits where the oven can be set. That is not an issue for me, but my husband grumbles if he cannot set it to 340 for some of his roasting.

Cass's information about the Thor brand is fascinating. I wonder where the name has been hiding all these years, or if it has been resurrected by another company. I note that Home Depot claims to sell the Thor Kitchen, but it must be ordered. When I looked at the Thor Kitchen home page, they did not have a lot of distributers, and the customer care page appears to be under construction. All of that does not fill me with hope.

There is a lot of "merging" stuff in the oven market.
                        Thermador is owned by B/S/H, which I think is Bosch
                        JennAir is owned by Whirlpool
                        Viking has a new owner (do not recall the name)
                        Wolf is with Sub Zero

At any rate, my head is spinning.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: added additional information
                        BakerAunt
                        Participant

Oh, and if you have not checked out Aaron's post about the tiny oven, it is quite funny.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I've had some time to do more oven research. Friends here were raving about an appliance store in the Chicago area called Abt, so I decided to look there.

They do not carry the DCS but they carry a dual fuel made by Fisher and Paykil, that is not as expensive. There is a 36-inch (5 burners) one and a 30-inch one. I cannot tell if it has sealed burners. It has knob controls for the oven, like the DCS. It does mention having 7 cooking modes.

I'll need to do some more research, as I do not see oven interior dimensions listed.

The store does free delivery. I need to check on service.

Mike mentioned that his younger son's place has a Fisher and Paykil wall oven. Does anyone else have any information on this brand?

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

They're based in New Zealand. Fisher and Paykel is the company that bought the assets of DCS when they ran into financial difficulties in the mid 90's, I don't think that's the only company they've acquired that way.

The F&P built-in wall ovens in my son's house work fairly well, but there are several cooking modes that I haven't used enough to understand. My wife got all confused trying to use them last Christmas, she managed to get the wrong oven turned on. Fortunately, there wasn't anything being stored in it.

The only other direct experience I've had with them was when I needed to order a new oven rack bracket for my big oven a few years ago. It took 6-8 weeks because I think it had to come from New Zealand, but at least they still had parts available for a 16 year old range.

I get the impression that they're aiming at the higher end of the market, but not quite as high end as Viking or Wolf.

The store locator on their website either doesn't work or they don't have any dealers outside of California. Neither of those are positives.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

The Fisher and Paykel 30-inch dual fuel is about $2000 less than the DCS, which puts it in the medium price range for dual fuel ranges. I find it odd that the 36-inch model has the same sized oven as the 30-inch model. Those ovens are 3.6 cubic feet as opposed to 4.0 for the DCS. However, I cannot find any interior measurements for the F&P.

Abt, outside of Chicago, has the F&P on its website, so I assume it is a dealer. With certain models, through June 30, they are giving away a free ventilating hood (looks rather industrial). If parts have to come from New Zealand, however, that could take a while and become expensive rather quickly.

The DCS dealer is in South Bend, so that would be closer.

Note: The few reviews on F&P that I could find were not positive.

rottiedogs
                                Participant

Abt is in Deerfield, IL. All our TV's save one have come from there. Also my Viking cook top is from there. When my hunk of junk oven/microwave quits, I'll be going there for the replacement. Never any issues when dealing with them. I've had the Viking for a little over 10 years and have no complaints.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.