Keto-friendly buns!

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Keto-friendly buns!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I ran across a recipe online (https://www.gnom-gnom.com/keto-wholewheat-buns/) for keto-friendly burger buns and I made a small batch of them today, 3 as burger buns and 2 as hot dog buns.

They're the closest to a wheat-based burger bun I've ever had!

I did make some minor tweaks to the recipe, two unintentional and one intentional: I forgot I was making a half-recipe and put in the whole egg, so I left out some of the egg white to compensate, I also forgot the vinegar, and I subbed in some sunflower meal for some of the almond flour, I think that makes things a little less ALMOND!

They smelled very good baking, because they've got yeast in them, as well as psyllium, xanthan and baking soda, so they've got the gluten/rising spectrum covered. The taste was easily the best keto-friendly bread product I've had/made, though they're just a tad sweet, but so are Moomies buns. (That may have been due to the sunflower meal.) I'm looking forward to trying a few more recipes from that site.

The seeds didn't stick to the buns very well, so I'll have to work on that, along with better shaping. They don't rise noticeably in the oven, even with the baking powder in them.

The site says they're around 10 carbs each, mine were a bit smaller (5 instead of 4 from a half-batch), so they're probably more like 8 carbs each.

They use two ingredients I've not used before: psyllium husk powder and whey protein isolate, along with ground flaxseed, which I've not used a lot.

Here's the last of the burger buns with the two hot dog buns, which aren't very tall so that might be a challenge, but we'll have those for lunch tomorrow anyway.

IMG_0838

Here's the cheeseburger I made from my bun:

IMG_0836

(Sorry for the darkness of the images, until I get my primary laptop back from the shop, I don't have access to my photo editor tools.) I need to learn how to tweak photos on the iPhone.

Spread the word
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      navlys
      Participant

Can you use ketchup? Do you plan to follow this diet for the rest of your life? Ps the buns look amazing!

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

Look good. We aren't at substituting carbs yet but it is good to know there are options.

I asked my runner son about carbo loading and his response was that they don't do special loading rather they just eat more carbs than the average person and probably more than athletes in other sports. He even knew what other runners eat to maintain their carb levels. He is a funny kid.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Heinz makes a no-added-sugar ketchup, 1 carb per tablespoon. They also have a no-added-salt one.

I've seen multiple sources that recommend not being on a strict keto diet for more than 6 months, but we're on sort of a modified keto diet anyway, so I don't know what we'll do down the road.

More than a few health professionals have told me that the main reason people stop following a keto diet is they get bored with the lack of food variety. So far, that hasn't been a problem, but we're only about 6 weeks into it. As we get into summertime menus, that may be more of a challenge, but those keto buns were pretty good last night. And with some practice, they'll look even better. That site also has a recipe for keto bagels and keto cobbler (though the fruit is the main source of carbs in cobbler.)

I found a book at Half Price Books over the weekend that looks good, just thumbing through it I came up with at least 6 recipes that my wife's reaction was: Too bad we've already got dinner planned today.

Title of the book is The Low-Carb Bible, by Elizabeth Ward. Not strictly a keto book, but neither is our current food repertoire.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

The keto bun was OK with a hot dog, but needed more toppings as the bun itself is kind of bland. (My burger last night had tomato and cheese.)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.