Participant

Ice Water White Cake
      Submitted by macy on April 22, 2005 at 8:38 pm

DESCRIPTION
      Ice Water White Cake

SUMMARY
      Yield 0 File under cakes

INSTRUCTIONS
      I found this recipe for ice water white cake on another forum. It was in a thread where several white cakes had been tested and this emerged the clear favorite. It's from an old cookbook, A World of Baking by Delores Casella. I tried it and it is now my favorite white cake too. It is not at all dry, but take care not to overbake. You should use a toothpick or cake tester because it doesn't spring back when you touch it.

I get nice even layers baking at 300F convection for 30-40 minutes, one rung below center (what my oven manual recommends). For me, they bake nice and flat when I spray the pan with Baker's Joy, but they dome a bit when the pans are buttered and floured. For some reason the sides climb nice and high with the Baker's Joy, but set too quickly with the butter.

Some other tips:

-Beat the egg whites to soft peaks instead of stiff. They'll be easier to fold in and the crumb will be more even.

-Sifted into the measuring cups and swept with a straight edge (per RLB in the Cake Bible), my cake flour weighed 325 gm (11 1/4 oz).

Macy

With the exception of the water, which should be ice cold, all ingredients should be at room temperature.

3 and 1/4 cups sifted pastry or cake flour
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      4 teaspoons baking powder
      1/2 cup butter or margarine
      2 cups superfine granulated sugar
      1 and 1/2 cups ice water
      1 teaspoon vanilla extract
      1/4 teaspoon almond extract
      1/2 cup egg whites (about 4)

Sift the flour with the salt and baking powder. Cream the butter or margarine and gradually add 1 and 1/2 cups of the sugar. Beat until mixture is light and fluffy. Combine ice water and flavorings. Add sifted dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with the ice water, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Beat until smooth, but do not overbeat. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy, gradually beat in the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and beat until stiff and glossy. Very carefully fold this merringue into the batter, folding just until no traces of white can be seen. Turn batter into 3 8-inch round layer pans that have been buttered and floured. Bake in 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cake tests done. Cool in pans for 5 minutes before turning out onto racks. Fill and frost as desired.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by rottiedogs.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.