Heavenly Light Brown Bread by Calico

Home Forums Recipes Heavenly Light Brown Bread by Calico

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Heavenly Light Brown Bread
      Submitted by calico on November 30, 2010 at 7:50 am

This is a recipe that I had saved years ago from a King Arthur Organic Baker's Classic Bread Flour bag. I have lost and found this recipe more times than I care to admit! So, I'm putting it here where it will be safe and sound - and available for others to enjoy as well.

Yield: 1 loaf

1/4 cup water
      2 tablespoons vegetable oil
      1/4 cup raisins or currants
      2 tablespoons dark brown sugar or molasses
      2 tablespoons milled flax seed (optional)
      2 cups King Arthur Organic Baker's Classic Bread Flour
      1 1/2 cups King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour
      1 1/2 teaspoons salt
      2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
      1/4 cup Baker's Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk
      1 cup lukewarm water

In a mini food processor or blender, mix together the 1/4 cup water, vegetable oil, raisins or currants, and brown sugar or molasses till the mixture is smooth and the fruit is thoroughly chopped.

Combine the liquid mixture with all the remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl, stirring to combine.

Knead the dough until it's smooth. Place in a greased bowl, cover the bowl, and let it rise 1 hour or until double in bulk.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly-floured surface, gently deflate it, and shape it into a loaf. Place the loaf in a lightly greased 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" bread pan, cover, and let rise for 1 hour, or until it's crowned about 1 inch over the rim of the pan.

Bake the loaf in a preheated 350° oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 190°F.

Remove it from the oven, and turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool completely.
      © King Arthur Flour

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.