Grandma’s Sour Cream Filled Cookies by jej

Home Forums Recipes Grandma’s Sour Cream Filled Cookies by jej

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    S_Wirth
    Participant

COOKIES -- Grandma's Sour Cream Filled Cookies

Submitted by: jej
      Last Updated: 5/6/2007

• Be open-minded about the amount of flour you add with these cookies. My Gr. Grandmother, from whom this recipe originally came, was born in 1850, so it is an old recipe. However, it is soooooooo good. My grandmother, in turn, made them and stored them in a big, covered roaster deep down in her cupboard.

• This is a VERY soft dough, and whereas it suggests 3 or 4 cups flour, I made them successfully at Christmas for the first time, and I added somewhere in the realm of 5-6 cups... I will try to get them made again within the next few weeks and see if it is necessary to make further adjustments in the recipe.

• 1 c. lard
      • 1 c. butter
      • 2 c. sugar
      • 3 eggs, well beaten
      • 1 c. sour cream
      • 1 t. soda, slightly rounded
      • 2 t. baking powder
      • salt (opt.)
      • 1/2 to 1 t. nutmeg
      • 2 t. vanilla
      • 3-4 c. flour (I used 5+ cups)

• Cream the lard and butter together. Cream the sugar into the shortening. Add the well-beaten eggs and mix together well. Combine the dry ingredients before adding alternately with the sour cream. Mix a ?quite soft? dough.

• Pat out a small amount of dough at a time on a well-floured board, or on waxed paper. I use a combination of half confectioner?s sugar and half flour, well mixed, for both the board and to dip the cutters in. Cut small or large rounds, as you like. The dough is soft enough that a spatula is very helpful in transferring cookie to the cookie sheet. Place filling (recipe follows) on the bottom round, and top with a second. Press edges together lightly to seal. May cut one or two slits in the top cookie, if you like, though it is not necessary for baking. May dust with sugar ? or not -- before baking. Bake at 350? - 375? oven until cookie is baked through and bottom is golden.

Raisin filling: Grind seeded raisins, and cook with sugar, flour, and water. Add nutmeats, if desired. Cook until thickened.

• Date filling: Substitute finely chopped pitted dates for raisins.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by S_Wirth.
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Perhaps great-grandmother was using a flour that is closer to bread flour in protein?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.