Giant Flour Recall

Home Forums General Discussions Giant Flour Recall

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I wonder what fraction of their annual flour volume 10 million pounds represents? (According to government sources, Kansas alone produces 10.8 million TONS of wheat a year.) I also wonder if the recall affects flour for commercial use? I'll have to ask my neighbor (he manages the local Sysco office.)

As I read the notice, it is still possible other brands of flour could be affected, because apparently what the epidemiologists found was that SOME of those affected made products with flour, SOME of those flours were from General Mills and SOME of those affected ate raw dough or batter. There's no direct indication that flour, much less GM flour, was the source of the E. Coli.

By the time most recalls are issued, a high percentage of those foods have already been consumed, but I do wonder how GM plans to dispose of potentially several million pounds of recalled flour?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Mike Nolan.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

Well, I've had no problems with the Gold Medal flour that I have been using. I am reluctant to throw away three or four bags. I will check the dates on the unopened ones when I get home. If the flour is baked, is it dangerous?

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

As best I can tell, the USDA says cooking foods to an internal temperature of 165 degrees should kill E. Coli. Bread is usually cooked to a 190-200 degrees internal temperature.

With my wife on a low-carb diet, I don't use nearly as much flour as I used to, I think I have at most one unopened bag of flour in the pantry at the moment, and none of my flour canisters have GM flour in them at the moment (because I ran out and haven't replaced it yet.) I use GM mostly for products where I want a lower protein content than KAF AP.

Italiancook
            Participant

Mike, what are the types of products where you want a lower protein content? Thanks!

Italiancook
              Participant

Mike, what are the types of products where you want a lower protein content? Thanks!

BakerAunt
                Participant

I stocked up on GM flour at Christmas when there were some very good prices. I use it in non-KAF recipes, mostly for cookies, cakes, and quick breads, as well as for biscuits (with some cake flour cut in). While I will check the dates on what is still in bags, I'm not planning to throw any of it away.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I tend to alternate between GM AP and pastry flour for pie crusts, that's how I used up my GM flour. I also think a slightly lower protein content works better for croissants.

Italiancook
                    Participant

BakerAunt, maybe you wouldn't have to throw it away. I believe, but may be wrong, that if there's a food recall, the grocery store will take it back. I don't know if they give a store credit or refund your money. I've been involved in two food recalls. I know they took back the product, but I can't recall whether they refunded my money in any way. A call to your store's customer service would give you and answer if you don't want to traipse to the store bags in hand.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Well, there is no way to prove from which grocery store in town I bought it. Those receipts are long gone. I will use what I have.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

If they're unopened bags and are a product that store stocks, I think nearly any chain store will take them, receipt or not, if only because it creates good will with customers. (I'm pretty sure they get reimbursed by the manufacturer, too.)

Without a receipt, they might only issue you a store credit, I think that would be reasonable.

BakerAunt
                          Participant
                            BakerAunt
                            Participant
                            Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.