Edible Wafer Paper

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Edible Wafer Paper

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

BakerAunt, I read your post a couple hours ago. Now that I've thought about it, I've decided to go for broke. Before Christmas shopping begins in earnest, I'll go to Michael's and see if they have the Wilton four tips with some bags. I've watched a lot of Martha Stewart and Food Network shows illustrating piping, so I may be able to do it.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I bought a box of 100 12" disposable piping bags and a box of 100 18" disposable piping bags at restaurant supply stores, in bulk they cost me less than 25 cents each. I tend to use the larger ones more than the smaller ones, like when piping a large batch of meringue cookies or a couple dozen eclairs.

The problem with using a plastic bag is they have a tendency to pop open if you squeeze them too hard and tips don't fit in them very well, but they're OK for small amounts of icing.

When I was at chocolate school a year ago, our instructor had us make small piping bags that were no more than 2-3 inches long and would hold a small amount of tempered chocolate. I struggled with making them until one evening I took several of the pre-cut triangles back to my hotel room and practiced making them for several hours. Now I make one every now and then (maybe once a month) just to keep the skill fresh.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I always have good intentions of doing decorative piping on cakes, but I rarely had the time when I was working. I was just glad to get the cake baked and iced! However, for my lemon cake, piping a dam before putting in the lemon curd is essential. I'm not baking many cakes these days, and I was sad that National Cake Week came and went last week with no cake from me, but with my husband's family reunion, at which there was pumpkin pie and apple pie, not to mention an apple Bundt cake, there was no need for another dessert, other than my Maple-Walnut Biscotti. I miss doing the birthday cakes for the office staff. I may branch out to cookies.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I've thought about signing up for the beginning cake decorating classes at Michael's, but I'd probably be the only guy in the class.

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

Sorry I'm late to this and it's been a while since I piped anything but I've found it easier in a cooler kitchen. Also, my hands tend to get warm and that can melt sometimes make the frosting a little too runny. The last time I piped I was making a big cake, it was about 85 and I had no AC. I would take a break from piping and place my hands on a bag of frozen peas.

Gloves might have helped if I'd thought about it then.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I once heard about a chocolatier whose test for apprentices was to shake their hands. If the hands were too warm, the candidate wasn't hired. I'd have failed that test!

I have been known to keep an ice pack nearby when working with chocolate and place my hands on it every now and then when I'm getting ready to start the next hands-on step. (We have some ice packs filled with corn that don't get so cold they give you frostbite and also don't sweat much.) They're the 'make it better bag', darlincompany.com

aaronatthedoublef
                Participant

I couldn't sleep and was watching "Halloween Wars" on the Food Network and saw a new use for wafer papers. Someone made a giant birdman out of cake and spun sugar (and maybe pumpkin) and the feathers were wafer paper. It was pretty neat.

I believe it was this episode.

Italiancook
                  Participant

I'm not going to be the first of our group to try edible wafer papers. I am way behind in several things because of a kitchen repair that lasted 2 weeks in November. I called a friend and offered him the wafer papers. He had never heard of them but is willing to try them. Monday, I'll take the papers and instructions to him along with the correctly-sized cutters. I'll ask him to share one of his wares with me if he completes the project. I'll post here his report on his efforts and the taste of the finished project.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.