Dumplings

Home Forums General Discussions Dumplings

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

I have never eaten a dumpling. I see them pictured in recipes and am not enticed by their whiteness. So when I make Hungarian chicken Paprikash from Cook-Ahead Cookery, I never make the dumplings from the recipe. But today was different. I made the Paprikash in the middle of the night, for tomorrow's lunch. By the light of day, I decided to make the dumplings.

Even though I had a recipe, I had no idea what I was doing. The dough called for 2 eggs, 1-1/2 cups sifted flour, 1/4 cup water, and 2 Tbsp. parsley, finely chopped. I had absolutely no idea what the dough should feel or look like. When it turned out to be tough to stir, I thought it needed more water, but didn't want to chance it, since I'd never before seen dumpling batter.

In addition, the recipe says to heat the water while mixing the dough. Since I didn't grow up with dumplings, I had no idea how hot the water should be. So I opted for boiling. When I was ready to portion out the dumplings to the pot, I became worried about the rolling boil. I lowered pot below simmer. Added the dumpling mixture, put lid on and second guessed myself. I raised heat to a rolling boil then down to a simmer.

My dumplings turned out rubbery -- the Internet uses the term "chewy." Internet says this is from not enough water or over mixing. In my case, I think it's both, but how do I know? I'm just a wannabe dumpling-maker. I've never even eaten chicken and dumplings!

Have any of you made dumplings? Do you think 1/4 cup water for 1-1-/2 cups sifted flour is enough? What about the water -- should it be at a rolling boil or at simmer when dumplings are portioned out into the water?

The recipe made 13 dumplings . . . hmmm, maybe I should have known my result by that number. I added them to the pan of Paprikash, and will eat one or 2. But if the rubbery chewiness is a bother, I'll toss out the rest. BTW, I used Gold Medal flour, instead of KAF.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

There's a pretty good recipe for herbed dumplings in the KAF Bakers Companion, I've used it quite a few times, though I don't always use the herb blend they give. Mix it to the point where it comes together, if there are still a few pockets of flour, that's OK.

The dough should be sticky, I use two soup spoons to shape the dumplings, so my hands don't get stuck to the dough. Dipping the spoon in the pot each time will help keep the dumplings from sticking to the spoon.

You want the liquid simmering, not a full boil. You want to mostly cover the surface with the dumplings, then put the lid on and let them cook in the steam. I usually reduce the heat slightly at this point. Overcooking them is what results in rubbery dumplings, because you've overcooked the proteins.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I have also never made dumplings. My Mom made them, but she bought Pillsbury biscuit dough, cut each biscuit into pieces and put that into the broth. I would have been as lost as you, Italian Cook.

skeptic7
          Participant

I've eaten dumplings. A local buffet place has many Southern dishes including Chicken and Dumplings. I have no idea how to cook it.

Italiancook
            Participant

Mike, I've written down your dumpling suggestions. I've decided not to let dumplings get the best of me. Over the weekend, I'll make Vegetable Beef Soup, and I'll serve it with dumplings on top. Never saw that done before, but I need an excuse to try dumplings again.

BakerAunt, I have a friend, now deceased, who made her dumplings like your mom.

Italiancook
              Participant

Mike, what do I look for to know the dumplings are fully cooked?

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

The easiest way is to cut one open. Keep the lid on, it takes about 15 minutes in the steam for them to cook.

Italiancook
                  Participant

Thanks, Mike. KAF has a recipe for Turkey and Dumplings. The dumplings use a quarter cup fresh herbs. I don't know if this is the same herb dumplings mentioned earlier in this thread. Depending on the weather, I'm going to slow cook a turkey breast in January. I'm planning on using some of the leftover turkey in this recipe. First, I have to make sure I can purchase turkey giblets and necks to make turkey stock, as the recipe calls for that. I should have done this at Thanksgiving time.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.