Daily Quiz for March 9, 2020

Home Forums Followups to Daily Quizzes Daily Quiz for March 9, 2020

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

True or false: The main ingredient in corn syrup is glucose.

[See the full post at: Daily Quiz for March 9, 2020]

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I missed it, because we hear so much about HFCS that I assumed it was what we get in the store. Can I now feel less guilty when I do use it, especially since I use it in small amounts?

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I missed it too.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

If you're making cooked sugar candies, like fudge, adding a little glucose will help keep it from crystallizing prematurely.

Most corn grown in the USA is GMO, so most corn syrup will be, too. You can buy non-GMO corn syrup online, but I've not looked for it in stores, so I don't know how easy it is to find.

However, there is no genetic material present in corn syrup, so it is not possible to tell by testing it whether it came from GMO corn or not.

Commercial glucose can be made from other starches, such as potatoes, wheat, barley, rice, or cassava.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

When I was researching this question, I ran across a comment that said home cooks wouldn't know what to do with HFCS if they could get it, because fructose behaves differently than glucose or sucrose.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.