Cutting a bagel into a Mobius strip

Home Forums General Discussions Cutting a bagel into a Mobius strip

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

In the always interesting intersection of math and kitchens, here's a new way to cut a bagel:

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

But how do you toast it? ?

BakerAunt
        Participant

I sent that link to a friend who is a math professor. She loved it.

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

I am debating whether or not to show this to my kids as they will want their bagels cut this way and I think I might lose a finger doing it!

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Just tell them you learned the trick from a baker named 3 Fingered Pete!

I'll probably try it some time, but most of the time I make smaller bagels (about 3.25 ounces of dough per bagel, most deli bagels start with around 4.5 ounces of dough) and most of them get a big heap of asiago cheese on top, so slicing them this way might be a bit more challenging.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I saw a segment on the News Hour last night with this mathematician. She suggested getting kids interested in math means telling them not that it's "useful," but that it is "exciting." She also pointed out that theoretical mathematical discoveries that had no obvious practical application at the time when they were discovered have turned out to have significant applications in our time.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

My wife (a certified HS math teacher) completely agrees with her. She has a 'Math is Fun' T-shirt that she got at a regional math conference.

aaronatthedoublef
                  Participant

One of my favorite scientists was Robert Ballard. Dr. Ballard made it his mission (besides oceanography) to engage kids. I heard him talk and he said when he was a kid scientists were cool, not nerds, and reminded everyone that Indiana Jones was a scientist.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.