Cranberry Crumbcake by valchemist

Home Forums Recipes Cranberry Crumbcake by valchemist

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    rottiedogs
    Participant

Cranberry Crumbcake
      I got this recipe from King Arthur Flour. I think it would make a nice morning coffeecake, but it also looks rich enough to be a dessert. I plan to make it this weekend (or even today, if I have time) but I thought I'd post the recipe now in case someone would be interested in whipping it up this weekend. It might also be a nice treat if you have family visiting this upcoming week. The cake would travel well too since it is best made in advance and since there is no frosting.
      Cranberry Crumbcake
      I made this cake a number of times before settling on a version I really liked. The main problem involves the cranberry sauce; cake by nature being delicate, and cranberry sauce being heavy, the sauce tended to sink down through the batter, making a gooey layer on the bottom of the pan. I strengthened the cake just a wee bit, and marbled the sauce into the batter, and that seemed to help. Even so, the middle may sink a bit as it cools; but so what? You�re going to cut it into squares anyway. I�ve always been more interested in taste, less in making something that�s picture-perfect.
      This cake (coffeecake?) is rich and moist enough to make a couple of days ahead of time. If you like, substitute a layer of dried, sweetened cranberries (�craisins�) for the cranberry sauce. The cake will have less chance of passing over the line between moist and gooey.
      FILLING:
      1 can whole-berry cranberry sauce -- (1 3/4 cups, 16 ounces)
      TOPPING:
      1 cup All-Purpose Flour
      1/2 cup sugar
      1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
      1/8 teaspoon salt
      6 tablespoons butter -- melted
      1/2 teaspoon almond extract
      1/2 cup rolled oats -- (original recipe called for slivered almonds or diced pecans or walnuts)
      CAKE:
      1/2 cup butter
      1/2 cup sugar -- + 2 tablespoons
      2 large eggs
      1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
      1 teaspoon baking powder
      1/2 teaspoon baking soda
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1 3/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
      1 cup light sour cream
      TOPPING: Combine all of the topping ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl, stirring (or mixing at low to medium speed) till crumbs form. Set the topping aside.
      CAKE: In a large mixing bowl, beat together (cream) the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the extract, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and beat for another minute or two, till the batter is well combined. It may look a bit curdled; that�s OK.
      Add the flour to the batter in three additions, alternately with the sour cream, mixing at low-medium speed. Continue mixing just till everything is well combined.
      ASSEMBLY AND BAKING: Spread the batter in a lightly greased 9-inch square pan. Spoon the cranberry sauce into a bowl, and stir it thoroughly to distribute the whole berries. Spread it evenly over the batter. Sprinkle about 1/2 cup of topping atop the cranberry sauce, and swirl a knife through the batter, to marble the sauce, topping and batter together. Sprinkle on the remaining topping.
      Bake the cake in a preheated 350�F oven for about 60 minutes, until it�s golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Tent the cake with aluminum foil for the final 15 minutes of baking, if it appears to be browning too quickly. Remove the cake from the oven, cool it completely, and wrap it tightly (it can stay in the pan) in plastic wrap.
      Yield: 1 cake, 16 servings.
      Source:
      "King Arthur Newsletter"
      Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 284 Calories; 11g Fat (42.0% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 52mg Cholesterol; 267mg Sodium. Last edited by valchemist; 11-22-2002 at 04:40 PM.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.