• Author
    rottiedogs
    Participant

Cinnabons - Buns From Heaven
      Submitted by themuffinmaker on March 08, 2004 at 9:01 pm

DESCRIPTION
      Cinnabons - Buns from Heaven

SUMMARY
      Yield 0 File under Yeast Bread/Rolls (not sourdough)

INSTRUCTIONS
      I found this recipe in the "Copykat" website. I have altered it a bit....making it suit my tastes....but will post it as it was originally written; with my alterations listed seperately. According to the forward accompaning the recipe it was "originally published in the Portland newspaper as their best shot at Cinnabons, I think you will find this pretty darn close. ...."

2 pkg. active dry yeast
      1 C. warm water (105-115 degree)
      2/3 C. plus 1 tsp. granulated sugar, divided
      1 C. warmed milk
      2/3 C. butter
      2 tsp salt
      2 eggs, slightly beaten
      7-8 C. all-purpose flour, or more if needed

1 C. melted butter, divided (2 sticks)
      1 3/4 C. granulated sugar, divided
      3 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
      1 1/2 C. chopped walnuts, optional
      1 1/2 C. raisins, optional

4 C. powdered sugar
      2 tsp vanilla
      2/3 C. melted butter
      4-8 Tbsp. hot water

In a small bowl mix together warm water, yeast and sugar and set aside. In a large bowl, mix milk, remaining 2/3 cup sugar, melted butter, salt and eggs; stir well and add yeast mixture. Add half the flour and beat until smooth. Stir in enough of the remaining flour until dough is slightly stiff (dough will be sticky).
      Turn out onto a well-floured board; knead 5 -10 minutes. Place in well-buttered glass or plastic bowl, cover and let rise in warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
      When doubled, punch down dough and let rest 5 minutes. Roll out on floured surface into a 15 x 20 inch rectangle.
      To prepare filling: Spread dough with 1/2 cup melted butter. Mix together 1 1/2 cups sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over buttered dough. Sprinkle with walnuts and raisins, if desired.
      Roll up jellyroll-fashion and pinch edge together to seal. Cut into 12 to 15 slices. Coat bottom of a 13-by-9-inch baking pan and a 8-inch square pan with remaining 1/2 cup melted butter, then sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Place cinnamon roll slices close together in pans. Let rise in warm place until dough is doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
      Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until rolls are nicely browned. Cool rolls slightly.
      To prepare glaze: Meanwhile, in medium bowl, mix melted butter, powdered sugar and vanilla; add hot water 1 Tbsp. at a time until glaze reaches desired spreading consistency. Spread over slightly cooled rolls.

Filling -
      Add 1 tbsp vanilla

Raisins and Nuts -
      I am a purist and these items belong in Sticky Buns, not Cinnabons.

Frosting -
      I don't use the Creamy Glaze that they suggest. Instead I use the following.....trust me, this is the best topping for the buns.

1 stick butter
      8 oz cream cheese
      1 lb 10 x sugar
      2 tsp lemon juice
      2 tsp vanilla

Allow butter and cream cheese to reach room temp. Beat together in a bowl using a mixer. Slowly add 10x. Once all the sugar is added beat for at least 12 minutes (this is a must). When almost done, add the liquids.
      I spread on a thin layer after the rolls have cooled a bit and top with MORE before serving.

P.S.
      Tonight on Food TV they discussed Cinnabons and how they are made. It was mentioned that they use brown sugar in the filling(I will try this the next time I make them), that the rolls have 5 1/2 sections and are not consider done until 165 degrees inside.

P.S.S.
      I normally make the rolls the night before I want to serve them. Once in the pan I cover the rolls with plactic wrap, place a clean tea towel over the top and place in the fridge to rise overnight. This allows me to have primed rolls for popping in the oven the next morning.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.