Butter in Cubes and Sticks

Home Forums General Discussions Butter in Cubes and Sticks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I saw this interesting article on why some butter is in sticks and some in cubes, so I'm posting the link:

http://www.marketplace.org/2014/10/31/business/ive-always-wondered/why-are-sticks-butter-long-and-skinny-east-short-and-fat-west

I've seen both sizes in the stores in my part of Texas.

Now the question that I really want answered is: Why has butter become so expensive, even as milk prices are dropping? Its $3.69 for the Walmart brand here. At my other grocery, $3.99 is considered a good price.

Spread the word
      aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

Fascinating... Whole Foods in Connecticut has both types. The organic WF brand is long and skinny and the inorganic (I know that's not the real term) is short and stubby.

My favorite is LoL half sticks which packages eight half sticks instead of four quarter pound sticks per box.

As for pricing $3.99 a pound is pretty good. Here we're looking at $5+ on average. Whole Foods inorganic is actually the best bargain on a regular basis at $3.69/pound. I usually buy LoL when it is on sale (usually two for $5 which is different from $2.50 per pound) and stock up with it in the freezer. If I need something that requires butter that has not been frozen I'll go buy some for the occasion and depending on the occasion I decide what butter I want to buy.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

But you're supposed to believe the government reports telling you 'there is no inflation' and 'food prices are at their lowest point in years'.

Italiancook
          Participant

I don't know why butter is so expensive. I guess because they can. It's over $5.00 a pound here, but I bought 7 boxes recently on sale for $3.00 a pound box. I freeze them. I didn't want to pay $3.00. I wanted to hold out for $2.50, but I only had 3 in the freezer and like to keep it stocked at 10.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.