A Sticky Situation with Sticky Buns

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls A Sticky Situation with Sticky Buns

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Tonight, I tried a new recipe, Our Favorite Sticky Buns, from the KAF site:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/our-favorite-sticky-buns-recipe

I adore a good sticky bun, and except for the two designer ingredients (three, if I count the buttery dough flavoring), everything else was in the refrigerator or the pantry, and because I'm on vacation, I have the time. I did not use the dough enhancer or the special cinnamon sugar, as I have neither. I used 3/4 Cup of light brown sugar for the topping. I don't know why the instructions say to leave 1/2 inch between the buns in the pan: there is NO WAY that will work. I had five around the diameter, and two stuffed in the center of the two 8-inch round pans that I used. I couldn't change pans at this point because I already had the topping ingredients prepared in them.

I did tweak the recipe slightly by substituting in 1 cup of white whole wheat flour. I also only used 2 Tbs. of sugar in the dough but added 2 Tbs. of honey. I used light sour cream, which was all that I had. Indeed, I was about 2 Tbs. short, so I made it up with nonfat Greek yogurt. The first rise took 90 minutes. The second only an hour, but the house was 70F, thanks to the wood stove, so that probably helped.

Because the rolls were so tightly packed in, they blew out. Also, the butter in the pans appears to have overflowed, so there was a burning smell, and melted butter all over the bottom of the oven. During baking, the top part of the buns had some surface burning, perhaps due to butter bubbling up. The buns did come out of the pan easily, and I was able to scrape the sauce and nuts off the bottom onto their bottoms (now the tops). Tomorrow, I'll add an addendum on taste and on the burnt bits.

There are glowing reviews of the recipe, which was in a link in a recent KAF email, although some reviewers wondered about the pan sizes. I know that my oven was at the correct temperature, because I use an oven thermometer, and all my other baking has been without issue. I don't think that the changes I made would have skewed the results. Some people mention a 10x10 pan, which the recipe does not indicate, but perhaps did in another version? However, I'm not sure that it would be big enough.

Follow-up: In the right sized pan, I think this recipe might be a winner. The non-burned parts of the dough have a lovely texture, and the topping tastes wonderful. However, due to the burning, I cannot give away the second pan as I had planned. I have submitted a review to the KAF site. I'm hoping that they will address the pan issue, but I'm not holding my breath.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Italiancook
      Participant

Oh, BakerAunt, so sorry to hear about your baking mishap. I hope it didn't take you too long to clean the oven. Also sorry to hear that you couldn't give away one of the pans. It's frustrating to have a recipe go berserk like that.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

BakerAunt the best thing I ever did was to start using aluminum foil oven liners.They are wonderful,goes across the whole bottom of oven,it goes under the heating element of my electric stove.I'd never be without these again.Saves me lots of cleanup.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Actually, I did have an aluminum foil liner on the bottom of this oven (and now need to go buy another). It was just the butter that ran out and dripped, not the sugar mixture. Maybe the recipe calls for too much butter for each pan?

My stove at home, however, is another matter. The directions actually state NOT to use a liner with it.

RiversideLen
            Participant

If I'm fearing an overflow, I put a half sheet baking pan lined with a sheet of parchment directly under the pan. The parchment can be reused if it doesn't get soiled.

BakerAunt
              Participant

The weird thing is that there should not have been an overflow. It's been a long time since I've made sticky buns, but I did not have this issue then. What I don't understand is why the butter in the bottom of the pan seems to have boiled up and over the rolls. I'm less upset about the overflow than about the fact that it seems to have caused the rolls to burn on the top when baking. When I flipped them out of the pan, the sticky bun side was fine and not burned.

I think that the basic problem was that two 8-inch round pans are too small--and 3 Tbs. of butter per pan for the topping, may have been too much.

RiversideLen
                Participant

I agree, it sounds like the pans were too small.

KIDPIZZA
                  Participant

BAKERAUNT:
                    Good morning Marliss my dear friend. Sorry to learn of your recent baking mishap.
                    I thought I would post very important information to you about ovens in general especially these home counter type ovens....but generally all ovens.

Marliss, the reason why the butter overflowed in the baking process is the temp. is actually higher than you may assume it is....Why....because when placing a liner of any sort either on the botton of your pan or on the oven bottom, the temp "WILL INCREASE. It does so because the liner retains this intensive hear & radiates it as an addition to your governed temp knob. on your oven control.

I hope I wrote all this in a manner as for you & others to understand. If not I will try again.

Marliss, this info is info nobody will ever write about. I would say it is the very first time that is ever printed.

I trust you enjoyed your Xmas holidays with your family. I wish you will enjoy your new year with them as well.

~KIDPIZZA...CASS.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Thank you for the good wishes, Cass. I did use an oven thermometer with the stove at this place, so I know that the temperature was accurate, even with the foil liner on the bottom. Everything else I baked had no issues, so in this case, I'm pretty sure that KAF mislead me about pan size. It might also be that their "special cinnamon sugar, which they use in the topping and the filling, makes a difference in how the topping absorbs the butter, which would be why it bubbled out and onto the oven floor.

I am waiting to see if KAF will post my review and respond to it. If not, I may e-mail them directly later today, and see if I can get an answer. Their answers to people's questions lately have been less than helpful.

I would only make Sticky Buns once a year or so. If I try the recipe again, with larger pans, it will not be until sometime next year unless I can be sure that they will come out well enough that I can give one pan away. We are going to have to do a lot of walking to offset these! They are good enough to eat but not good enough to give away.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
                      BakerAunt
                      Participant

Added thoughts: I note that a lot of reviewers for the recipe were refrigerating the rolls overnight on the second rise. Perhaps that is why no one else reported a butter boil over. It's also possible that the KAF special cinnamon sugar mix soaks up more butter. Apparently, more butter boiled over than I realized, because I'm baking bread tonight--and the oven is still releasing smoke. I will need to do a thorough cleaning of it tomorrow.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
                        S_Wirth
                        Participant

The Baker's Cinnamon Filling has ClearJel in it...listed as modified food starch in the ingredients:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop-img/labels/1443556077542.pdf

It very well may soak up butter as it is a thickener.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Thanks, for the link, S. Wirth. I looked at the ingredients, and that does suggest to me that part of the issue is not using the special cinnamon sugar mixture KAF sells. I thought it odd that in the recipe for the topping, it was so non-specific about what to substitute for that in the topping. It just said "additional brown sugar." I don't care for buying such specialized ingredients, and I think a viable alternative should have been given.

The dough for these sweet rolls was wonderful, as was the filling. Pan size and getting the topping right seems to be the issue. It certainly tastes great, but all that butter leaking out is not acceptable, especially when it causes burning on the buns. When I get back to Texas, I'll have to look through my baking books and see if I can come up with an alternative.

I did review the recipe at KAF, but it has been more than 24 hours, and as of yet, my review has not appeared. I may contact the Baker's Hotline via email today

BakerAunt
                            Participant

King Arthur finally posted my review of the sticky buns recipe. I gave it a 3, since the taste is good and the dough soft, but clearly there is an issue with the recipe. Someone replied to the review and said that it was not clear why I had trouble squeezing the rolls into 9-inch pans. (Hmm--could it be because the recipe specifies 8-inch pans?!) It was suggested that I had not rolled out the dough to the specified dimensions. However, I know that I did so because I used a measuring tape. The responder did say that my feedback would be included in "future discussions of the recipe." The topping issue was not addressed.

I will have to think about whether I will try 9-inch pans. I also think that I need to find a way to use some ClearJel in the topping, so that I can come closer to creating one that is more like what KAF sells. I don't want to buy it.

I did e-mail the Baker's Hotline. The reply suggested that due to the discussion needed, I should call. That makes sense. It would not be worth my time if I received an answer similar to the response to my review.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: added additional information
                              Rascals1
                              Participant

Sticky Buns sounds good, I've never had them before just cinnamon rolls. Guess you could mix a little clear gel with the brown sugar before mixing with the other ingredients. Hope you get an answer from them you can use and works.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

It's good to see you here Rascals1!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.