A different/better way to cut cake?

Home Forums Baking — Desserts A different/better way to cut cake?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Is there a better way to cut cake?

This article suggests there is.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

That makes sense--except for the part about using a rubber band! I would just push the two halves together.

I've also sometimes turned the cut side down onto the plate when I have half a round cake left.

The main drawback that I see is that the piece has a lot less frosting on it!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

The ratio of cake to frosting isn't changing that much for any one slice, because you get the full top and edge for each slice, it's just not as big. Yeah, there's less frosting on the outside edge, but more on the top towards the center. You want more frosting? Cut a wider slice.

This is kind of a mathematical paradox. If you normally get 12 slices from a cake and you use this method to produce 12 slices, there won't be frosting or cake left over so the cake-to-frosting ratio on average has to be the same.

I'm assuming that first full diameter slice is cut in half, so it's not that much different than a wedge of cake, just not triangular and smaller.

I agree with you about the rubber band, though, that sounds messy, and possibly unsanitary.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Mike Nolan.
          cwcdesign
          Participant

This is interesting. I always start by cutting the cake in half. And, I remember reading about, and trying at least once - I often forget - then cutting each half in straight pieces rather than wedges. I know the birthday cake from this week is a little drier each day.

I'm in agreement about using the rubber band. You'd need an awfully big one, I think.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Go to a good office supply store, they should have pallet bands. I got a package that had 3 sizes in them, the largest are big enough to hold a 33 gallon trash bag on a large garbage can.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.