2020 Gardens

Home Forums Gardening 2020 Gardens

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

Chocomouse, I meant to post here earlier but haven't got around to it. I planted 4 tomatoes, 2 each in 2 containers. Two peppers in one container. Also some parsley, and a lemon thyme. I got some basil from a couple of neighbors. I've been meaning to take a couple of pics and post it but I the cicadas make me want to minimize my time out there right now. We have a good crop of the 13 year cicada and they like to fly in the face. I really don't mind them otherwise and kinda enjoy the racket they make, I'm happy to let them do their insect things except for having to bat them away. In 4 years we get the 17 year cicadas and they come out in even greater numbers, maybe 5 times as many, maybe more. Anyways, so far everything looks good.

RiversideLen
      Participant

The first pic are my peppers, basil and parsley

peppers

This one is tomatoes, there is some parsley and basil in there too.

tomato

There were deer in my yard last week, this one looks like he is looking through the fence and my neighbor's garden.

deer

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

As always, Len, it's a great garden!

Ah, yes, the deer! This spring, we fenced most of the backyard for the dog--and for us, so that she can go out on her own, especially in the winter. We are limited to 5 feet high and 50% visibility, which is what we would have done anyway. Deer can jump that if motivated, but for now, they are giving attention to more accessible neighboring locations. The garden area within the backyard has wire fencing. We can put old window screens on top if we need to do so, but I'm hoping that the outside fence will take care of the deer eating the blooms off of vegetable plants.

chocomouse
          Participant

That deer looks like she is checking out what's on today's menu, Len!! Your plants look really healthy!

BakerAunt, I use fishing line (invisible) wrapped around the posts of my garden fence to deter deer. I put mine at at about 2, 4, and 7 feet off the ground. When they run into it, they are spooked because they can't see it. It has to be put up early, before anything is transplanted or seeds sprout. Once the deer get a taste of the menu, they will return. I think you could also run some kind of line across the top of your fenced garden area; but maybe not invisible fishing line, maybe something more visible? Like, that dark green gardening twine, or hot pink crochet cotton?

RiversideLen
            Participant

All the plants are filling out quite nicely.

Peppers are starting to form,

pepper

And this morning I spied my first tomato.

tomato‑1

Attachments:
              BakerAunt
              Participant

OOh--the first tomato! Our larger plants are blossoming, so I hope that we will see fruit forming soon. The bell pepper plant that overwintered on our porch has flowered and has developed new bell peppers. The two that were on the plant all winter, grew a bit and now are starting to redden.

The green beans are flowering. The snow peas should be flowering soon. The radishes, after a promising start, are not growing. My husband thinks either they got too dry or he planted them too closely. He is considering pulling them out (a lot of green on top), as he has other vegetables he wants to plant there and was waiting for them to finish. The lettuce is doing nicely.

The three squash plants are Queen squash (some seed given to him a while back by a student) The three plants are doing well; now we wait for blossoms.

The black raspberries on the terrace are beginning to ripen, and my husband is picking them. He has had to haul water up from the lake, as we are not getting the rain we need, although we are grateful for what we do get.

Italiancook
                Participant

Len, your plants look lovely. A tomato!

BakerAunt
                  Participant

My husband was able to pick a few snow peas from our garden yesterday. Perhaps there will be a stir-fry in our future next week.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Today my husband spied three small green tomatoes on our plants. Hurrah!

The drought is hurting the black raspberry crop--both on the terrace and in the woodlands. My husband has managed to water some of the ones on the terrace, but we very much need rain. I also need some Ball Classic Real Fruit Pectin, as mine is expired. I checked the grocery and the hardware store (canning items) but no luck. We may try a trip into the larger town north of us next week, so I will check at Kroger, which has had it in the past.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

We got our first tomato today, a San Marzano that went on our hot dogs, and while I see number of small tomatoes, it will be a week or so before we get another. It's cool today, in the 70's so we may get some more blossoms to set. But they're forecasting high 90's or worse by Friday.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

My older son bought an Aquagarden kit, here's a bok choy plant after 10 days:

IMG_1113

Attachments:
                          cwcdesign
                          Participant

That looks fun Mike. My best friend sells Juice+ tower gardens and keeps trying to get me to buy one. When I told her about our plot at the community garden, she tried to tell me the tower was better because we’d have to deal with pests in the soil - we did that for spring planting - a couple of Northern gardeners, our Mexican Chef and our local Cook - and we learned A LOT. For fall planting, building new raised beds put over black ground cover, clean dirt, compost and peat. All our seeds are here - as many disease resistant and hardy ones as we could find. We’re going to plant following the square foot method. We can harvest into November, even things like snap peas, haricots vert and cucumbers. We figure we have a better shot at getting things right.

chocomouse
                            Participant

That looks like my Aerogarden, Mike. I love it in the winter season for growing herbs, and the light brings a little sunshine into our shorter and darker days. I'll have to look it up - I've been thinking about getting another Aerogarden. Does he like it? And what else is he growing?

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

I'm not sure what all he's growing, some herbs and I think some miniature cherry tomatoes are all he's mentioned other than the bok choy.

We managed to get enough plants started under the grow lights to put in some melons and tomatoes for our garden, but the buttercrunch lettuce that we kept indoors never really took off, I think it was in the wrong kind of soil for anything other than starting plants intended for transplant.

The melons are doing very well, we've got well over a dozen starting to ripen, the tomatoes aren't doing so well, but they got started late and weren't all transplanted to the garden until late June, and it looks like this isn't going to be a great year for tomatoes in general, even the larger plants we bought aren't doing as well as I'd like.

I want to try a different type of soil and container with the grow lights we already have, then I'll think about whether an aquagarden or similar setup would be worth trying.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

I have been concerned about my peppers. Back in June I reported that peppers were starting to form but really it was very little behind the blossoms. The plants kept growing and lots of flowers but the fruit was going nowhere. Well, they are starting to grow now. The peppers are a sweet red variety, not a bell type, they are from Burpee and are called PeppiGrande Red Hybrid. I checked the Burpee site and see they are 80-90 days to maturity, which explains why there hasn't been too much action until recently. I did give it a couple of doses of Epsom salts in the past several weeks, as that is supposed to be beneficial. The basil in that container is doing great. A couple of weeks ago I harvested some to make pesto sauce.

pepper‑1

pepper2

Attachments:
                                Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.