2020 Gardens

Home Forums Gardening 2020 Gardens

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Time for ratatouille?

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Possibly, though I doubt we need a big batch of it, there must be 10 pounds or more of eggplant, well over a dozen of them. I usually make it with a combination of eggplant and summer squash, plus sweet red peppers, onions and tomatoes. I need to buy some leeks, I'll ask my wife if she wants ratatouille before I go to the store.

Based on how the tomato plants look this morning, it doesn't look like we got a hard freeze overnight here, though there may have been parts of the area that got one.

BakerAunt
        Participant

We have a frost warning. We did get some rain yesterday, along with thunder. (Of course we did: there was an all day electrical project going on outside our house and in the garage and shed.)

I have been reading about an eggplant dip that sounds interesting.

I wish that I could make ratatouille, but my husband is not on board with eating it. I love it with brown rice and chicken.

BakerAunt
          Participant

We have a freeze alert in our area, so my husband has picked all the tomatoes and peppers that remain. We will put the green ones in the front area with the wood stove, as that helped ripen them two years ago.

We moved my lime tree into the apartment where it will overwinter with sun through the window and cool temperatures with the temperature set low. We've already harvested some limes, but are waiting on some of the smaller ones.

My husband has also put orange fencing around our trees in the back. Although the area is now fenced for the dog, and the deer have stayed out over the summer, it's that time of year when the male deer are crazy, so if they should come through the fence, that will protect the trees from attack.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by BakerAunt.
            RiversideLen
            Participant

BA, I like ratatouille with pasta, good stuff!

We have to same frost warning so I pulled as many peppers as I thought were worth pulling. I had pulled my few remaining tomatoes about a week ago. It was not a great year for tomatoes for me or my neighbors.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Ah, yes, the outdoor gardening season has ended for most of us:

https://www.gocomics.com/roseisrose/2020/10/17

Italiancook
                Participant

Great comic, BakerAunt. It made me laugh out loud. So true.

cwcdesign
                  Participant

We (I use that word loosely - one of us) created raised beds for our fall plantings - we decided to direct sow starting September 1st. We had some cool weather - mostly cool weather crops - but then we had lots of rain and it got hot and humid again. We've had some issues with bugs on our leaves so we are down to one zucchini and are replanting other seeds. We did put some Spinosid (spelling) last night, so we shall see - it is organic and if you use it at night it won't hurt the bees - next time, we're going to start seeds indoors and have hearty transplants. Gardening down here is so different from up North!

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.