2020 Gardens

Home Forums Gardening 2020 Gardens

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I wonder about how home indoor gardens get pollinated. The professionals have their own bee colonies.

BakerAunt
      Participant

Len--Our red bell pepper plants also take a long time. The reason we have so many, so early this year, is because my husband dug up the one last year, stuck it in a pot, and it sat there, looking very sad and dormant, although my husband kept it watered. (This is when we discovered that the porch did not allow heat in through the new windows.) It had two small green peppers, which we expected to fall off, but they didn't. As soon as it was warm enough, my husband transplanted it to the garden, and it took off. Not only did the original little peppers turn red and be ready, but we have harvested five additional large peppers, and there are still more on the plant.

A second bell pepper plant, started from seed, has grown, but it is not producing. (Maybe it needs a winter on the porch.)

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Last night my wife thought there were several cantaloupes ready to pick, by morning one of them had been half-eaten by critters and another two of them were almost too ripe, but we picked 3 of them, gave the best of them to our neighbor and had one for lunch, along with some tomatoes fresh from the garden.

I think we'll get 2 or 3 more melons in the next few days, there are a bunch of smaller ones but I'm not sure they'll get big enough to ripen, the vines are already dying back.

The variety we planted was 'Hearts of Gold', and I'd plant it again, sweet and reasonable sized. Most of the stores tend to have Athena or Kandy. We've grown Athena once, it produces these HUGE melons, one of them was about the size of a basketball!

RiversideLen
          Participant

Some critter(s) is eating my tomatoes on the vine. I don't know what it is, I'm pretty sure it's not the suspect pictured below because I am doing container gardening and the containers are on carts which puts the containers several feet above the ground.

Anyway, this was 15 years ago. I had my first tomato of the season turning ripe, I was going to pick it the next day. In the early evening I went out there to water the plants, I was standing there with the hose watering each plant individually. A rabbit came out and sat near the ripening tomato. I never chase the rabbits away. Then his nose starts to twitch and the next thing I know his mouth is on the tomato like a vampire on a vixen. Several thoughts raced through my head but then I realized this was a Kodak moment. I gently put the hose down, slowly backed away and went to the house, got my camera, changed the lens to the longest I had, went back out to the garden and found the rabbit was still there.

wabbit‑1

In this pic, he is sticking his tongue out at me as if to say, "Go get your own, buddy, this one is mine!"

wabbit‑2

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by RiversideLen.
            • This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by RiversideLen.
            Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
            BakerAunt
            Participant

Great pictures and story, Len! Deer will eat tomatoes, which is why one acquaintance in the area will not even grow them. With our fencing, we did have a problem with them nipping off the blossoms last year when the plants reached the top of the garden fence. This year, with the additional yard fence for the dog, the deer are reluctant to jump in--so far--and I hope it stays that way.

Italiancook
              Participant

My favorite is the rabbit eating the forbidden fruit with a wary look out eye. But both are great, Len!

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Len, have you considered getting a critter-cam? They are motion-activated and they're fairly inexpensive these days.

We have several outdoor security cameras and sometimes see a fox running through the yard, but I have to admit I'm tempted to get a critter cam that covers my vegetable garden.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

That's an idea Mike. I'll have to give it some thought.

chocomouse
                    Participant

We had our first crop of string beans from the raised planters on the deck way back in July. I did a second planting about August 1st in one of the planters. In the other one, I cut back the original bean plants, leaving 4-6 inches, always leaving behind a couple of leaves. I know in the in-ground garden, that if I keep picking the young beans, the plants produce more flowers and thus beans, for quite a while; however, they do eventually stop producing. I wasn't sure if they would produce more leaves and beans as a result of the severe pruning that I did -- but they sure have!! This winter, I"ll go back over all my gardening notes and figure out a planting schedule to try next summer. How great to not have to plant more seeds, yet get like-new plants!! I love garden fresh beans, second only to tomatoes!

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I was looking at the weather forecast the other day, and I saw lows around 42 predicted for Lincoln next week. Then my wife sent me the NOAA outlook for the upper great plains for the next few weeks, and there are possibilities of freezing conditions, several weeks before the average 'early' frost. Most of those are for areas north of us, fortunately.

I'm hoping they're wrong, otherwise my tomato season may be cut short, and it started late.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

The promised cold rain has arrived. The high for the rest of the day is 49 and the low for tonight is now down to 41.

After this three day cold/wet period, the daily highs are forecast for the high 70's or low 80's and the lows in the 50's for the next two weeks.

The hummingbirds finally arrived in quantities over the weekend, but this cold weather might drive them further south.

No picking tomatoes today.

chocomouse
                          Participant

Cole slaw for dinner again tonight! Unfortunately, it is not the last cabbage from the garden!! I bought a six-pack of seedlings because they didn't have anything less than six plants - and this is cabbage #5. I've given most away. One huge cabbage will feed the two of us for weeks! I know that a head will keep in the refrigerator for a month or more, but I'm really tired of eating cole slaw. It's the only way we eat cabbage. I think next year, I'll just but one head at a time at the market.

Rain! and more rain! It's been raining now for about 3 hours, and we have 1.15 inches of the wet stuff! It's taking a short break and we're forecast to get thunder storms for a couple of hours and then more rain until around noon tomorrow. The only other rain we've had this month, on Sept 3, was .03 inches; plus some drops that dampened the deck 2 weeks ago. We have a complete outdoor fire burn ban in effect dur to the severe drought; and there have been a number of small field/forest fires reported but rather quickly brought under control. Gardening is over for the season, but I sure hope there is enough rain to soak the ground and lower the risk of fire.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

They're still forecasting a low of 33 early Friday morning.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

They've raised the predicted low for tonight from 33 to 34, but we have frost advisories. I'm going to pick what I can this afternoon and hope the rest survive. My wife has some planters she wants to move into the garage for a few days, then possibly into the house for the winter.

The hummingbird feeders will come down, too, as I think we saw just one all day yesterday.

We've been looking at getting an Aerogarden, our son has been sending us shots of all the stuff he's getting from his, including several dozen poblano peppers. I know he's got some cherry tomatoes that have set, I don't know how many he'll get. (I assume it is a dwarf/bush style plant.)

I still want to do some more work with the grow lights we have, I think we started the bedding plants a couple weeks too late this year, but the outdoor weather wasn't all that cooperative for gardening anyway. I alsodon't think we had the right mix of soil/nutrients for growing things beyond the transplant point.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

Well, we're up to 35 for the predicted low tonight, but still have freeze warnings.

We picked any tomatoes that were showing much color, got about 10 to 12 pounds of them. We also picked a big bowl of eggplants, not sure what I'm going to do with them. We usually give most of them to a friend, but she's in quarantine due to covid exposure.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 68 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.