Why Do You Love Cooking & Baking

Home Forums General Discussions Why Do You Love Cooking & Baking

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

Tonight, a friend called. As of today, she has a sick relative staying with her. I had a pot of Vegetable Beef Soup in the refrig. I offered her 2 quarts to help with the food. I pulled a half loaf of Amish bread out of the freezer to go with the soup. In the morning, I'll make a batch of Sloppy Joe mix and give her that with store-bought hamburger buns. I don't like that the meals are both beef, but there's iron in beef, so hopefully it'll have recuperative power. If there's time, I'll make a pan of brownies for their dessert, but I think that's iffy.

I find it extremely satisfying to help someone in need through my cooking and baking. It's as if all the cooking and baking I do for my family are dress rehearsals for helping others in a pinch.

Why do you love cooking & baking?

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Italiancook.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

The thing that has always fascinated me about baking is how you take 4 ingredients that are either inedible or uninteresting, water, flour, yeast and salt, combine them, and the magic of bread happens!

And as you bring other ingredients such as oil, sugar and eggs, you get everything from cake to waffles.

As to cooking, I think it appeals to the engineer in me, cooking is just altering the properties of foodstuffs, so it's applied chemistry and physics. There's a precision to it, yet also an art.

I once saw a well-known (Iron) chef take a jumbo shrimp and with a few knife cuts turn it into a dragon in front of our eyes.

cwcdesign
        Participant

Both are something that I love to do and to me it acts like a meditation and stress reliever. I love knowing that we have healthy and interesting food to eat. I didn’t really start baking until 8 years ago. Of course I would bake brownies and cakes, but that’s when I became more passionate about it. I just finished my first year as co-chair of my garden club’s bake sale and it’s great to see how our community responds. And, like italiancook, I love sharing with co-workers and friends

Joan Simpson
          Participant

It's a stress reliever for me too.I love to bake and share with friends and family.I learned to cook watching my Mama and Grandmother cook and helping them.Baking is my favorite,I started making bread about 8 or 9 years ago and really love it.Like you Cw Design I had baked cookies and cakes all my life but it's a different ball game with the bread or yeast rolls.And I really appreciate everyone here that'll help you out if needed!Bake on!

luvpyrpom
            Participant

I truly didn't really get seriously involved with cooking and baking until the last 15 years. I learned a lot of the cooking from my parents and helping out. As for baking, it wasn't until lately I've started baking bread and other stuff. I always tease my coworkers that baking and cooking are my therapy sessions. And I do bring the goodies to work as my family and I are lactose intolerant. I do a lot substitutions with my cooking and baking as I also have a niece with a nut allergy too. I've learned how to make a vegan ricotta and have used it to make lasagna and spinach manicotta.

I want to apologize for not posting this past year - I've had to cut back on my baking and cooking as my mother and I just can't seem to keep up with all the eating of all the stuff I make. Even ran out freezer space. I am slowly getting back to the baking of breads - just not as many loaves as I used to make.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Luvpyrpom--It's good to see you posting again!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.