What are You Cooking the Week of March 18, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of March 18, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Tonight I'll be roasting boneless chicken breast, rubbed with mayonnaise and dredged in panko, onion powder, garlic powder, chives, pepper, and parmesan. I'll roast it at 375F for 30 minutes. To accompany it, I'll cook a blend of mixed rice in the rice cooker. Steamed beans, cooked in the microwave, will accompany the meal.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Tonight we had smoked brisket,french fries and pork-n-beans.

luvpyrpom
        Participant

Tonight's dinner will be leftover corned beef with sides of carrots, cabbage, and potatoes.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Leftover night here, too.

patty
            Participant

Hi All! I was toffee on the old BC. I’ve been lurking here and am still in touch with a few on FB. I grilled chicken tonight as the temps here in Minnesota are in the mid 40’s this week. A baked potato and a garden salad plus fresh baked bread were sides. I grill all year around except on windy or below zero days.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Great to see you here, Patty. Spring can't get here too soon for me!

The person who takes care of our shrubbery cut down our tall grasses a few days ago, that's one of the first spring yard tasks every year. Now I need to get outside and clean out the tomato beds. I planted alfalfa in the main garden area two years ago, after a couple of disappointing seasons, but I think I'll till that under this year. Maybe I'll put in buckwheat again, it was really pretty and the bees REALLY loved it.

Buckwheat blooms

Bees in the Buckwheat

S_Wirth
                Participant

Patty...it is so nice to see you here! I think of you when I see your temps in winter on TV.

Hoping your family is doing well. Is your son still an award-winning musician?

We are so ready for some warmth and nicer days. We have so much to get done outside but it rains or does some kind of precip nearly every day or it is miserably cold. Husband worked this afternoon on the end of the woodpile cutting and he is ready to cut down the grasses and work outside every day but this week will be chilly with several rainy days.

I so miss so many of the old BCers. Hope you visit us often!

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I've got some bone-in chicken breasts that I'll be using up in the next few days, but I've gotten into kind of a rut with what I do with chicken.

I've been reading a book on healthy cooking at home put out by the Culinary Institute of America. My wife thinks the book is kind of ironic, CIA-trained chefs tend to heavily salt their foods, and I'm on a low-salt diet. I just have to either skip over or modify recipes that use too much salt or have garlic, cilantro, curry, red raspberry, saffron and a few other things.

I used the minestrone soup in that book as the starting point for yesterday's soup, though. And somehow I wound up with 8-9 quarts of soup from a recipe that is intended to produce about half that. 🙂

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Welcome Patty!

cwcdesign
                      Participant

Welcome Patty! Glad you've decided to join us.

Last night I made zucchini cheesy bread which is a low carb type of recipe - at least they didn't call it pizza! We like it very much. You make a "dough" with shredded zucchini, egg, cornstarch and cheese, patted it on a sheet pan, bake and then add more shredded cheese and bake again. Then serve with marinara for dipping. It's way more filling than you'd expect.

Mike, even though salt is not an issue for me, I've started reading the sodium levels at the market because, why not - it should be healthier for us. I am amazed at how much sodium is in things, so I've been looking for lower sodium at a lower price - Yesterday I ended up buying Silver Palate low sodium marinara - it was 2/$6 and had 115mg per serving. It was quite good especially with the cheesy bread. Most of the others weighed in between 380 and 480 and that included organic ones!

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I've been making my own marinara with the tomato sauce I made last summer (no salt added) plus I add a can of no-salt-added tomatoes to it, and some herbs (basil, oregano, marjoram and thyme)

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Tonight we had baked ham,rice,black eyed peas and very finely shredded cabbage with vinegar that we put over our peas and rice.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

My husband ate the rest of the Turkey Pot Pie for dinner tonight. I made Swedish Pea Soup (Artsoppa--imagine two circles over the A), from a recipe that appeared some years back in a Nordic Needle e-newsletter. (It's a needlework business.) I used yellow split peas (Bob's Red Mill) rather than whole yellow peas, so the soup is quicker to make, and no pre-soaking of the peas is needed. I made one change, in that I sautéed the onion in some leftover bacon grease before adding the peas, water, chopped celery, sliced carrots, and the salt pork. Seasoning is thyme and marjoram, and I added black pepper.

It is a bit heavy on the salt, but I do enjoy this recipe and look forward to having it for lunch the rest of the week.

wonky
                              Participant

Welcome Patty...glad yo "see" you here. I am in Wisconsin, about 60 miles East of Eau Claire, where in Minnesota do you live? We probably share about the same weather, cold, and a lot of snow, but summers are beautiful...Wonky

chocomouse
                                Participant

Tonight we had Greek chicken thighs with risotto, beets, and a green salad from under the gro-lights.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.