What are You Cooking the Week of December 17, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of December 17, 2017?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I broke down and bought a reduced price rotisserie chicken today. I'll get back to cooking later this week, but for those of you who are in the kitchen today, here is the thread.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

Dinner was a great hit even if the baking today was a disaster! I tried a new recipe "Pepperoni Pizza Spaghetti Squash (can't remember where I got it). I cut the spaghetti squash in half, scooped out the seeds, and baked for 40 minutes. Meanwhile, I browned ground hot Italian sausage (subbed for the pepperoni), drained and then added chopped onions, green peppers, fresh mushrooms, half a small jar of pizza sauce. I scraped the squash halves to separate the strings, filled them with the sausage mixture, and topped with shredded cheddar and mozzarella. Then back into the over til the cheese melted. Delicious! It was the last of the spaghetti squash from the garden.... And it was the first recipe I've tried with spaghetti squash that I have liked!

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Does sound interesting. Am I correct that you mixed the filling with the shredded spaghetti squash then put it all back in the shell?

The last several times we had spaghetti squash, I made marinara with meatballs.

For the sauce I combined 1 can of Hunts traditional spaghetti sauce (which is garlic free) with a 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes. Heat to a boil.

The meatballs were ground beef, bread soaked in milk, an egg and some spices (basil, marjoram, salt and pepper.) Form into balls and cook in the marinara for a half hour.

I've never grown spaghetti squash, how many do you get from each plant?

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Pulling out leftovers and made lima bean soup.

Italiancook
            Participant

Before breakfast, I made a pot of The Neely's (Food Network) Broccoli Soup. It's for the freezer & lunch. Sirloin steak with veggies (no potato) is on dinner menu.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Italiancook.
              BakerAunt
              Participant

I'm making a ground turkey-vegetable soup on top of the wood stove. I will add Christmas design shaped pasta to it at the end. That should give us lunches until Christmas.

For dinner, I made my version of my mother's hamburger stroganoff recipe using ground turkey and served it over brown rice.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
                chocomouse
                Participant

Mike, I scraped the insides of the baked squash halves into strands. Then, I just added the pizza topping ingredients on top of the strands, ending with the cheese. We ate it directly out of the squash skin. The number of squash per plant depends, of course, on the weather - heat, water, and the gardener's energy level. This was not a great year for squash, nor for the gardener. I've been quite ill for the past year. spending more time in the hospital than in the garden. But, I got about 2-3 squash per plant, and they were a good size; I gave away most of them. I did however, get tons of tomatoes and peppers. I bet I have about 10 one-gallon size zip-lock bags of peppers - halves, strips, chopped, diced. I'm putting lots of peppers in everything!

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

We had ham,rice and tomato gravy,boiled okra and deviled eggs.

navlys
                    Participant

I made pizza using "Brooklyn Bred" crust. The pizza comes out like a thin crust pizza. My favorite pizza sauce is Don Pepino. I use what I need and freeze the rest in little baggies. I brush the crust with pesto first and then the pizza sauce, meat, veggies and mozzarella. Pretty, pretty yummy.

luvpyrpom
                      Participant

We had a belated birthday party on Tuesday for my mother. I made baked Korean Chicken wings, roasted broccoli and green beans. And one of the Chinese comfort dishes - sticky rice. It's a one pot dish - using glutenous rice, diced Chinese sausage, and diced BBQ pork. Usually there's diced shitake mushrooms in it too but too many of the kids don't like the mushrooms so I left it out. Tonight we had wonton and noodles, pulled from the freezer. I usually make the wontons ahead of time and freeze them individually.

I also made Swedish Pancakes (recipe from my father) on Monday, with homemade peach syrup and strawberry jam as options to spread on them.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by luvpyrpom.
                        Joan Simpson
                        Participant

We had spaghetti and meat sauce with garlic toast.Happy birthday to your mom Luvpyrpom.We've got a lot going on here the last several days.Our son is coming home for Christmas big surprise,haven't seen him in a little over 2 years so I'm on cloud 9.He is 44 yrs. old but he's still our boy!We have to go to Jaxsonville to pick him up tomorrow morning.My brother in law had a stroke from Diabetic Ketoacidosis.The doctor says he will make a full recovery but it will be a long road back.he's on a breathing tube now will try to take it off in a day or so.Doc says this happened because he didn't take his meds right and ate whatever he wanted even tho he's a diabetic and on insulin.He wasn't found for a couple of hours on the floor and his blood sugar was 600 when they tested it.He's very lucky to be alive.It's been crazy around here.If I don't check in for several days just know I wish everyone of you a Merry Christmas and remember to hug your loved ones while you can!God Bless you all!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                        Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.