What are You Baking the Week of March 11, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of March 11, 2018?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

Thanks Mike. That's pretty much how I did mine using canned cherries. I had never made a cherry pie before and got the recipe from the Oregon Fruit website (the brand of cherries I used). I didn't use the lemon juice or cinnamon but that sounds like a very good addition, will do that next time. I do have some frozen cherries that I want to use up so next time might be soon.

BakerAunt
      Participant

Today I baked Nelson's Choice Rye Bread. The recipe is originally from Secrets of a Jewish Baker, but KAF had it on a package and on their website as Peasant-Style Rye Bread. They have since made some changes in the recipe--as the dough usually needed additional flour--by cutting the water. I have wondered if the type of rye flour might have been an issue. I've been baking the recipe for years, usually adding some extra flour. This time, I held back 2 Tbs. of the water. I still needed to add 3 Tbs. of clear flour, but I did not use the 2 Tbs. of vital wheat gluten, as I do not have it, and am not sure that I will ever purchase it again. I used dark rye flour (Bob's Red Mill, while the KAF version called for white rye or pumpernickel. I decided to add 1 Tbs. potato flour to see if it will help the bread stay softer longer. I also cut the salt from 1 1/2 tsp. to 1 tsp.

As usual, I baked it in an 8-inch round cake pan with 2-inch sides, as I do not trust my shaping, although it did do better this time. I did not let the second rise go past 40 minutes, and I slashed it five minutes before that, as I've had this bread deflate before. The timing worked, and it got excellent oven spring. The finished loaf is four inches tall at its highest point. I look forward to having it with the last of the turkey for sandwiches tomorrow.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

The lemon juice may not be necessary depending on how tart the cherries are.

My wife's grandmother always rolled some granulated sugar into the top crust before cutting it, I tend to use an egg wash and sparkling sugar on top, both accomplish pretty much the same thing, I suspect.

luvpyrpom
          Participant

Not much baking this past week.

Joan - sorry for your family' loss.

BakerAunt - glad that you like the pan grease. I absolutely love that stuff for baking anything. That and parchment paper pretty much keeps anything from sticking. Except for that one time I made Bernard's Chopped Apple Bread - that was an awful mess and took me days so soak the pans clean. I also love the KAF Favorite Fudge Chocolate cake. That's my go to chocolate cake.

I had some leftover crossiant in a can so made bacon croissants - had some brown sugar mixed with chopped bacon - sprinkled it in between two of the crossiant shapes and rolled them up. I think next time I'll leave out the sugar as the crossiant dough was already sweetened. I also made cornbread biscuits, froze them individually for work lunches. I had already made and froze single servings of chili so the biscuits will be a nice little addition to go with for lunch.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Thank you Luvpyrpom.

S_Wirth
              Participant

Joan...sorry to hear of Aunt Becky's death. I'm sure all of you will cherish memories of her special life.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Thank you S_Wirth.Auny Becky was a special lady,a christian for sure and was looking forward to her Heavenly home.

skeptic7
                  Participant

Last Monday the 12th, I did a double batch of Hot Cross buns from the Betty Crocker cookbook . This is the recipe with mashed potatoes in it. I tried out two recipes for pastry crosses on top of the hot cross buns which I will write about seperately. Personally I have a sweet tooth and like a frosting cross.
                    I wanted to bake a pie for Pi day but didn't have enough time or energy. I really like the pictures of other pies.
                    I did have a pizza pie -- it had a pizza dough crust, but the filling was cabbage and onions and ricotta cheese and eggs, with some cheddar cheese added for extra flavor, on Thursday. This is basically the Italian spinach pie recipe but with 4 cups of thinly sliced Savoy cabbage instead of a pound of frozen spinach. I like it and it makes a wonderful lunch.

cwcdesign
                    Participant

On Friday I made "my" Irish Chocolate Cake to take to work on Saturday. I used the Vegalene spray in the bundt pan and the cake had a nice look after I turned it out. I used my 10 cup star pan so the cake rose a little higher than in the bigger pan. I also took its temperature so it didn't have the wet center it usually does. It was very moist and Will said it was my best yet.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Cwcdesign--I've also noted that with the Star Bundt pan, because it is made for a higher, not as wide cake, the cake needs to bake the longer amount of time. (I, too, had one that did not get done in the center.)

What temperature did you use to determine it was done?

cwcdesign
                        Participant

I think KAF said 190 for a cake - I was taking it out way before that probably was around 167. The most recent blog was on tea breads - they recommend 200-205 for those, but I think that cake would be dry at that point.

It took 55 minutes in the star pan (recipe range was 50-60). I would take the cakes out at 50 because the cake tester would b3 clean.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.