What are You Baking the Week of July 30, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of July 30, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    aaronatthedoublef
    Participant

I'm back to rye bread with a fresh load of first clear flour. I still need work on shaping but the taste is good. I also made pizza this week. Usually I use some flax meal but I was out so I just put white whole wheat and cake flour in the crust. It was noticeably lighter. I may try this again.

chocomouse
      Participant

I made two loaves of whole grain sandwich bread, blueberry muffins with lemon streusel (using KAF's burger bun pan). and molasses cookies. I have Moomie's Burger Buns rising now and will make zuchinni brownies shortly. This sounds like an awful lot of food for two of us, but I'm going out of town next week for eight days so I'm stocking the freezer for the road trip, for a potluck on Sunday, and for my husband so he doesn't starve to death while I'm gone.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I made the Amish bread but added the 7 grain cereal like one half cup and used one and half cups of white and one and half cups wheat flour,used buttermilk in place of water.I had to add extra buttermilk it was way too dry.I didn't soak the cereal before and when baked I could see little white pieces of the oatmeal,it was heavy but had a good taste for toast so I'll keep trying.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Buttermilk has a lot of milk solids to it, so it takes more buttermilk than it would water to hydrate the flour.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Thanks Mike,do you think your recipe for wheat bread would work with the grains?And would you soak them first?Sure hope ya'll enjoyed your son and family!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Joan Simpson.
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I usually make the honey wheat bread with coarsely ground whole wheat flour and I often add 1/4 cup of cracked wheat. I generally don't soak either, though I've done it a few times. I find soaking whole grains in milk doesn't work as well as soaking them in water, I probably don't let it soak long enough because the milk goes funky.

If you use the 7 grain mix, I'd suggest using half water and half milk and soaking the grain in the water overnight.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Thanks Mike I will surely try that soaking overnight and I'll try your recipe.

Rascals1
                  Participant

cocomouse, would you mind sharing your recipe for the zucchini brownies. thank you

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Joan--when I use old-fashioned oats or Grape Nuts in a bread, I usually soak the grains in any liquid I'm using--except for what I use to proof the yeast. It's not a long soak--usually between 10 and 15 minutes.

chocomouse
                      Participant

Rascals, the recipe is Zuchinni Brownies from the KAF website. They were OK. They were cake-like and I prefer fudgy brownies. They were dense, and the flavor was excellent. I doubled the recipe and used a 9 x 13 pan. I baked them an extra 10 minutes to get a clean toothpick. KAF also has a chocolate zuchinni bread and a chocolate zuchinni cake; there is very little difference in taste or texture among those. I might or might not make any of them ever again. Not bad, just OK. I need a recipe that calls for 20 bat-size zuchinnis!!

Rascals1
                        Participant

Chocomouse Thank you for your quick response I appreciate it. I'm sorry for the delay getting back to you. I was in the hospital for atrial fib. doing better now.

chocomouse

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Rascals1 hope you're doing well,sorry to hear that but glad they got you fixed up!

cwcdesign
                            Participant

Rascals, glad to hear you're doing better ??

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Rascals--I'm glad you are back baking with us!

chocomouse
                                Participant

Great to know that you are doing OK and back in the kitchen!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.