What are You Baking the Week of December 17, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of December 17, 2017?

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    luvpyrpom
    Participant

Chocomouse, sorry about your baking troubles. I've run across that many times too.

RiversideLen, your stollen looks good.

Bakersaunt, sorry that the cookie recipe didn't turn out right for the cookie cutters. Same problem with me this year, I thought I could use my peanut butter cookie recipe for the cookie presses I had bought. The cookies puffed up and totally lost the design.

This week I did a majority of the baking of cookies. I think I might've posted that last week. I also made Cranberry Bliss Bark - not baking but still a dessert. Also made Chex Puppy Chow using sunflower butter instead of peanut butter. Probably will be baking some more on Saturday or Sunday.

navlys
      Participant

I have the Maple shortbread recipe in fridge ready to be sliced and baked. I have a box of bisquick I bought several months ago for one recipe. I also have lots of leftover cheese so.... I am going to try making cheesy cracker rounds! Wish me luck.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Navlys--We are cheering you on from our kitchens!

Joan Simpson
          Participant

I baked a Lemon pound cake with a lemon glaze,got a pumpkin pie mixed up to bake tomorrow,corn bread baked for the dressing for Christmas.

RiversideLen
            Participant

Today I baked almond macaroons.

navlys
              Participant

Well, just to let you know the maple shortbread cookies (thanks to BA) came out great. I sliced and baked them. The cheese crisps with leftover cheddar, smoked gouda, sharp provolone, manchego and parmesan cheeses are also very tasty.

Italiancook
                Participant

For the first time, I made pizza. Since I didn't have semolina for Mike's dough recipe, I used a KAF recipe, "The Easiest Pizza You'll Ever Make." It made dough for 3 or 4 pizzas, depending on crust thickness. I made 4 for medium-thick crusts. I froze 3 of them and made one 12" pizza (ok, approximately 12").

I used Valerie Bertonelli's (Food Network) Marinara that's in her deep-dish sausage pizza recipe. I put on too much sauce, which made the finished product runny, but not soggy. I added cooked sausage & sautéed mushroom. Probably the oil in the mushrooms added to the runniness. Next time, I'll use fresh, uncooked mushrooms.

I'll buy semolina to try Mike's recipe, because I'd like a better tasting crust. I'm also thinking I'll try the KAF thin crust that BakerAunt likes. I told a 6-year-old niece that I'd teach her how to make pizza when her family comes for a visit. So I'm under pressure to perfect my pizza-making.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Navlys--I'm glad the baking was a success and that you are enjoying the maple shortbread.

Italian Cook--Congratulations on your first of many pizzas. That is great that your 6-year old niece wants to learn how to make them. Sadly, I've not found anyone who wants to learn about cooking or baking from me, although my younger stepson has occasionally asked for a recipe, so that does count.

Today I baked the rest of the sugar cookies. I had not been feeling well the last two days--probably something I ate. It's nice to be recovered.

skeptic7
                    Participant

Yesterday I baked apple crisp, I did 4 individual apple crisps. Probably too much topping but they were delicious, I gave one away but will eat the rest myself.
                      Today I made two batches of apple scones, one with apples, raisins, walnuts and the second with apples, cranberries and dates. The second one was given to friends who had to avoid raisins.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Baked the pumpkin pie today,looks nice but taste is more important and I did the no no today didn't take time to make pie shells and used bought one and life goes on.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

Tonight I baked oatmeal cookies with raisins, chocolate chips and walnuts.

Italiancook
                          Participant

BakerAunt, when I read your post about not having a family baking student, I immediately thought of the Boys & Girls Club (Big Brothers/Big Sisters). If you want to search for baking/cooking prodigies, you may want to see if there's a Boys and Girls Club in your area, or a nearby city. If they have a kitchen, they may be interested in having you teach the children with their Big Brother or Big Sister. Probably don't have money to pay you, so think volunteer work. You'd probably have to carry your own pans, and maybe the ingredients. But the Club may be willing to pay you for the ingredients.

Another thought that came to mind is The Salvation Army. They have programs for children after school and in the summers. The one I'm familiar with has a full kitchen.

RiversideLen, your Stollen looks beautiful. I'm curious: Is that real powdered sugar or KAF's non-melting powdered sugar? Whichever, it looks scrumptious!

RiversideLen
                            Participant

Italiancook, thank you. That's just regular powdered sugar.

I plan on making another Stollen next week, New Years eve is my neighbors Golden Retriever 17th birthday and I am invited. He is a rescue dog that they got when he was 9 after their 8 year old Golden died.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.