The Under-Equipped Kitchen

Home Forums General Discussions The Under-Equipped Kitchen

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

In the Star Trek episode, "The City on the Edge of Forever," Mr. Spock, stuck with Captain Kirk in the past in 1930s America, mutters: "I am endeavoring, ma'am, to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bearskins." I think of this phrase whenever I'm away from my kitchen and trying to cook or bake in one not equipped to my standards.

I've cooked in a variety of kitchens at places we've rented, but the current one has set a new low. It is good that I had planned simple meals (and no baking), and it does inspire creativity. I discovered that with a microwave that has a mind of its own and no instruction booklet--and no dishes in which to cook in a microwave--one can steam broccoli and green beans by bringing a pan with about an inch of water to a boil, putting the vegetables in a plastic colander over the water, placing the lid over them in the colander, turning off the heat, and allowing to sit while making the rest of the dinner. Next time, I'll bring the steamer insert for the rice cooker--which I am very glad that I brought along.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

There was only a tiny rimmed baking sheet in this kitchen, so we stopped at Tuesday Morning where I bought a 15x10 rimmed baking sheet so that I can do a sheet pan chicken and potatoes in the coming week. I would have liked the next size up, but I have to be mindful of packing the car for the trip home. The pan is Kitchen Aid, so it is nonstick and a good weight, not bad for $9.99. A foil pan would have cost $3.50, and I can use this one at home (and maybe take it with us on future trips).

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
        navlys
        Participant

Since we arrived in Florida I have purchased a toaster oven, slow cooker and electric grill. Also forgot my thermometer. So I brought one of those too.

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

Interesting. We've had mixed luck with various kitchens in how well they were and were not furnished. One of the most challenging was actually very well furnished but it was kosher. My wife, who is not Jewish, found the rules challenging and left things to me.

I've been thinking of buying an instant pot. I should have made a decision a while ago while you could still find good deals on them before they became the "IT" Christmas gift.

Does anyone have one? If so what do you think?

BakerAunt
            Participant

Hi, Aaron: For Instant Pot discussion, read the following. It has a bit of off language but does reveal some interesting points about the instant pot.

I've thought about the Instant Cooker, but I'm wondering if it really can do the tasks of three different appliances. I've noted that the more sophisticated rice cookers actually vary temperatures for different kinds of rice. One review of a Z. rice cooker mentioned that it nailed the longer, not as hot cooking conditions needed for brown rice. I'd be interested in knowing more about multicookers, particularly brands and how well they work for the different tasks.

We've always had pretty good luck with the places we rented, but most of those had been homes that the heirs were renting out, so all the kitchen items were there.

Navlys--My husband would have a fit if I were to buy any small electronics on this trip.

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

Thanks BA. Ms. Wilbur is pretty funny and it's definitely a useful take on the Instant Pot. I have an actual, honest-to-goodness, old fashioned pressure cooker that I have never, ever used (it was a gift). I really am looking for something that is, as the article calls it, a "hands-off cooker". My morning schedule is pretty crazy from 4:30-6:45. If I could put oats and water into the IP and have it handle that task I could just make lunches. As it is I make lunches while making breakfast preparing two sets of three meals.

A friend who is still in the honeymoon phase prefers the IP because it is not non-stick so it does better browning when he uses it for roasting. It would be a nice alternative to using our oven, and again, would be hands off. But, he is still in the honeymoon phase.

I may not be able to find a device that does multiple things.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

The Washington Post has an interesting article by one of their food writers comparing the Instant Pot to a cast iron Dutch oven on several recipes: coq au vin, pernil asado and black bean soup. The writer made versions of each recipe in both devices and had a chef blind taste them. The chef thought the Dutch oven ones were better for all 3 recipes and correctly identified 2 out of 3 of them as to which was made in which.

Not sure if this link will work for everyone, but here it is: instant pot vs Dutch oven

I may try the black bean soup recipe (without garlic, though.)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.