Edible Wafer Paper

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Edible Wafer Paper

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

I receive catalogs from fancyflours. The photo and information in the link below are much smaller than in the catalog. Maybe you can garner an idea about the wafer papers they sell.

Have any of you used edible wafer paper on your cookies? If so, does it affect the taste of the cookie or icing? Do the wafer papers hold up for gift giving and storage? Is there anything I should know about edible wafer paper before I plunk down money on some?

http://www.fancyflours.com/product/Mini-Santa-Postcard-Wafer-Paper/s

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Interesting,but never heard of this.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I also receive the Fancy Flours catalog. Although I have purchased some items from them, I've never tried the edible wafer paper. Although I like my cookies to look good, I care most about how they taste, so I've not felt the need to try it.

Italiancook
          Participant

I understand wanting your cookies to taste top-notch, BakerAunt. So do I, which is why I posted about the edible wafer paper. That, and the dyes in the papers. On their website, on a page other than the link I posted, it says that the dyes are FDA approved. That satisfies me.

Browsing their website, I learned the baker puts the wafer paper on top of icing. So the cookies would still have the regular taste. The only question is whether or not there's a flavor in the wafer paper. I guess I'll call them tomorrow or Friday to ask. If they're flavorless, I'll be pushed over the edge.

I want to give people Christmas gifts different than the last few years. I used Trisha Yearwood's Slow-Cooker Chocolate Candy last year, so I want to go back to cookies this year. I just want to come up with something that is not my norm. I don't think breads are exciting enough for young children.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

My understanding is that edible wafer paper is mostly sugar with some stabilizers to make it into sheets.

If there's a store than handles a good selection of Wilton products (eg, Michaels, Jo-Ann), they may carry them, a package isn't very expensive, probably under $4.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Yes, cookies are definitely what excite young children. One of my friends often talked about her aunt who gave her and her brother EACH a shoebox full of cookies every Christmas. Just think, your own box of an assortment of cookies that you did not have to share with a sibling!

Let us know, Italian Cook if you try the edible wafer paper and how it turns out. I do like Fancy Flours for some ingredients and baking items, and their service is excellent. I bought the topper for our wedding cake from them. I also prefer their sugar cookie recipe, although I increase the salt.

Italiancook
                Participant

I have called Fancy Flours and was told the edible wafer papers are flavorless, although a little sweet. I didn't have time to place my order, but I'm going to do it tomorrow. I'm going to order Christmas papers, so it'll be December before I make them & can post back here about the finished product.

BakerAunt, I spent too much time on their website last evening and didn't notice any recipes. When I have time, I'll check out their sugar cookie recipe, although I'm quite happy with Martha Stewart's recipe in her book "Entertaining." For Christmas, I may use the recipe with the least sugar, since there's sugar in the wafer papers.

I can imagine how thrilled a child would be to receive his/her own shoebox of cookies. That'd be a big time fun experience, especially since it happened more than once!

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Italian Cook: Here is the link to their recipes:

http://www.fancyflours.com/category/recipes-and-projects?utm_source=Fancy+Flours+List+%232&utm_campaign=4e56bb513f-jack_09_27_2017&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f465417f5b-4e56bb513f-232950785

The "No Fail Sugar Cookies is under their basic recipes. I like them because they do not spread and loose their shape.

Italiancook
                    Participant

Thanks for the link, BakerAunt. I checked out their sugar cookie recipe. Thanks for giving me the name.

Italiancook
                      Participant

When I ordered the edible wafer papers, I asked about shelf life. I wanted to be sure they'd still be good in December if purchased now. I was told to store them in the pantry, flat . . . (with nothing on them, I assume.) Don't store them near the stove or other heat. They will be fine in December, following those guidelines.

I'm hoping to use them in early December. I'll report back on the finished cookies.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I still haven't figured out exactly what you DO with edible wafer paper, so I'm really curious to see what you do with it.

Italiancook
                          Participant

I don't know what to do with it, either, Mike. This will be a learning experience for both of us. The catalog says they come with instructions, but I probably won't be able to access those until I open the package of wafer papers.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Mike and Italian Cook--Try looking at this:

Italiancook
                              Participant

Thanks, BakerAunt, for solving the mystery.

For myself, I see a problem. I don't own a piping bag and have never piped. I'm just going to ice the cookies and declare they look beautiful without the piped edges. I really don't think I'll have to have the piping. I bought their cookie cutter that goes with their wafer papers, so I know the size will be exact. I also don't own a food-safe craft brush, but will assume Michael's can solve that problem. If not, I'm destined to make-do with a small pastry brush.

BakerAunt, I'm glad you gave us this link. It gives me time to study the directions so I start the project knowing what to do when. I'll let you and the others know in December whether I succeeded at this cookie idea.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Italian Cook: Michael's has disposable "piping" bags--very reasonable with one of their coupons--from Wilton. Wilton even makes small sets with four tips that includes some bags. Also, you can use a baggie with a clipped corner. My mother used to make cones out of a piece of parchment paper.

The piping keeps the "flooded" frosting from running down the sides; it makes a "dam." You can outline all the cookies, then go back and do the flooding.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.