What are You Baking the Week of October 18, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of October 18, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Sunday morning, I baked Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls that I assembled last night. The rolls rose well in the refrigerator overnight. I let the dish sit out on the dining room table for about 50 minutes before baking because I wanted the ceramic dish to warm up before baking so that it would not crack. I baked them for 25 minutes, on the second rack of my oven (bread baking position), then gave them an additional five minutes. After they cooled for 10 minutes, I glazed with ¾ cup powdered sugar, 1 ½ Tbs. milk, and ¼ tsp. vanilla. These are large rolls, so one per person is sufficient.

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

Will has been doing most of the cooking for the last couple of months. I have baked my No Knead Cheese Burger buns and froze some. Before I left for Hilton Head, I baked 2 loaves of Harvest Grains bread for the freezer and my second batch of English Muffins from Baking Steel on my baking steel. Mine have been a little dense so I watched Andris' virtual class on You Tube and have found that I need to use a lighter touch with my dough. Next batch should be fine. I might even make the dough this afternoon to cook on Tuesday morning.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I'm making semolina/malt bread in the Pullman pan again today.

BakerAunt
          Participant

On Sunday, I made my Scottish Style Scones (Barley) recipe to go with the beef stew we have for dinner.

cwcdesign
            Participant

Mike, do you have the large or small Pullman pan? If the large one, I’d love your recipe

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I have the 4x4x13 pan, plus a much smaller one that I haven't used yet.

I'm using a variant on the Austrian Malt bread recipe for the full-sized Pullman pan:

Pre-ferment:

6 1/2 ounces semolina
                6 1/2 ounces bread flour
                12 ounces lukewarm water
                1 teaspoon instant dry yeast
                2 tablespoons sugar

Stir and allow to sit for 60-90 minutes, it should be very bubbly by then.

Add:

6 1/2 ounces semolina
                6 1/2 ounces bread flour
                (It helps to add this flour in several steps to avoid a flour cloud.)

4 tablespoons Carnation malted milk powder
                2 teaspoons salt
                4 tablespoons melted butter
                1-2 ounces cool water

Knead until it passes the windowpane test. Dough should be slightly tacky but not sticky.

Bulk rise 60 to 90 minutes
                Shape and put in greased Pullman pan
                Allow to rise for at least 60 minutes. (I leave the lid off for the first 45 minutes, putting the lid on when I start the oven pre-heating.)

Preheat oven to 375.

Bake for 15 minutes, rotate, bake for another 10 minutes, then remove lid and bake for 10-15 minutes until internal temperature is 200 or higher.

Remove from pan and cool completely before slicing.

I wind up cutting it into 3 parts and freezing at least two of them, as with just two of us that's a lot of bread.

cwcdesign
                Participant

That’s the size I have, thanks. I’ll have to get some more semolina, as I’ve been using it for pizza and English muffins. At least I have malt powder. And, I’ll make my dough in the Zo.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

With 26 ounces of flour, will your Zo be big enough to handle it?

I wound up buying a 50 pound bag of semolina for well under half the cost per pound of local suppliers, when they had it on the shelf. I put about half of it in the freezer.

cwcdesign
                    Participant

If I just make dough in the Zo and take it out to bake, I can make 2 loaves which is really nice. The pain de mie from KAF has 20 ounces and the 2 loaves of Harvest Grains bread I made last week had 25.5 ounces plus cornmeal and harvest grains. I should be fine. Thanks for asking.

Italiancook
                      Participant

I made Oatmeal Chocolate Raisin Bars. I used half chocolate chips & half raisins.

aaronatthedoublef
                        Participant

Do you know a way to make English muffins w/out muffin rings?

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

The ones that are more dough-like can be made without rings, but they won't have tall straight sides. The ones that are more like pancake batter cannot be made without rings.

chocomouse
                            Participant

Aaron, I've made English muffins without rings. Just roll dough into a smooth ball, as you would for a dinner roll, and then flatten and pull it into a 3-4" inch "hockey puck". The dough does have a higher hydration rate than most breads, but it is not at all "runny". I think using the rings just makes them have smoother, neater looking sides, although sometimes if they stick to the ring in spite of oiling them, they can look a little ragged.

Today I made Apple Sharlotka, using a recipe from SmittenKitchen. I thought it was good, and my husband really liked it. I followed her directions, except I made a caramel glaze which I poured over the top about 5 minutes after it came out of the oven. I think that made it a little too sweet.

cwcdesign
                              Participant

Aaron, I’ve been practicing with The Baking Steel’s English Muffins cooked on the Baking Steel on the stovetop. They are very easy and the like the flavor of the dough - it’s a long ferment. Most of my issues are user errors. I watched the YouTube video again and found I’ve been too heavy handed with the dough. I also haven’t made though dough balls right either, but we still liked them. You do roll the dough into balls, then when you put one on the grill, cook the one side, flip and press down with the spatula - that will make the muffin shape

RiversideLen
                                Participant

On Sunday I made a batch of my sandwich buns. I had a little pie dough left over from the other day (92 grams) so I decided to make a mini blueberry pie. I had to roll it out real thin to cover the pan, I barely made it. I just guessed as to how much sugar and flour to use in it. I baked it at 375 for 45 minutes, it looks like it baked up ok.
                                  I still have some apple/blueberry pie so I won't sample the mini pie for another day or two.

IMG_0914

Attachments:
                                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.