What are you Baking the Week of October 11, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of October 11, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Nothing planned here supposed to be fairly hot today (87) but by Thursday we may hit the 20's. So I probably won't bake anything today.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

For a special Sunday breakfast, I made Cornmeal-Rye Waffles (a half recipe) from the King Arthur Whole Grain Baking book. I highly recommend it. I do cut the salt in half and replace the melted butter with canola oil--about 2 1/2 Tbs. for a half recipe. I had to use 2 Tbs. AP flour, as I was short on cornmeal.

Our weather has been warmer as well, with one day near 80F but most days with a high in the 70s and lows in the mid to upper 50s. I'm hoping the large green peppers will start turning red, so that we can pick them before the first freeze. Our drought continues. We need the lake level to rise from a good week of rain so that we can get the boat off the lift and put away for the winter.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

My wife wants bagels for supper, so I've got bagel dough rising.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

It's still hot here too 86*.I made pizza dough and made a pizza.

skeptic7
            Participant

Its cold here today and yesterday. Mid 60's just perfect for baking. I did pumpkin scones on Sunday. They were okay but a little boring since I didn't put cranberries or dates or any other fruit in them. I was thinking that I might want to eat them as an accompaniment for chili or soup so went on the plain side. It isn't bad but would be improved by lots of cream cheese.

chocomouse
              Participant

Skeptic, you've sent me over the edge! When Mike posted that his wife wanted bagels, I immediately began craving cream cheese with lots of seeds, garlic and onions. Oh, yeah, gotta have a bagel underneath all that to give it some support. And now, you're going to put cream cheese on pumpkin scones! Everyone is tormenting me. Guess I have to make bagels tomorrow.

BakerAunt
                Participant

On Tuesday, I worked with the sourdough whole wheat bread recipe that started as the Whole Wheat Sourdough Pan Bread recipe in Sunset’s Bread (1st edition). I baked my first variation on May 20, and, as those first loaves were slightly dry, I further altered when I baked it again on September 18. Those loaves were not dry and were delicious. I made one additional change this time by adding 1/3 cup flax meal. It was a bit cool in the house, but my husband warmed it up with the wood stove. When it was time to bake, I had the oven set at 400F, but I reduced it to 375F after putting in the loaves. Doing so gives my sourdough breads better oven spring, and this one is no exception. The two loaves are now cooling, and I look forward to slicing one at lunch tomorrow.

chocomouse
                  Participant

Today I made a ham and cheese braid for a club meeting. But something went wrong with my oven, and after 25 minutes at 375* I could touch the baking sheet with my bare hands. Warm but not 375. So I turned the oven up to 425 and baked it for another 12 minutes, when it was time to leave the house. The oven did heat up nicely that time. I'm afraid I may have to bite the bullet and get a new stove/oven. I've had too much trouble with this one recently, and it is 35 years old and had almost daily use. Oh, the braid was just OK, if you pretended the undercooked dough was the melted Swiss.

aaronatthedoublef
                    Participant

I made two loaves of sourdough sandwich bread. I did block the fan which helped the blow out some. Also I did a lousy job shaping one of the loaves and it shows in the finished product. I guess I was rushing.

I put together another batch of crackers which I'll bake tonight or tomorrow morning I guess.

I sympathize with you CM. One of our ovens is down and the store that sold it does not service them, none of the dealers on the manufacturers website will service it because we did not buy it from them, and the manufacturer won't do anything to help. I even asked if they would have their support line walk me through it but they can only help certified oven technicians. Ugh.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Aaron, have you tried asking over on the BBGA forum if anyone knows a technician who'll work on your oven?

Considering how often I mess up shaping, I have great admiration for the professionals who can do it right nearly every time.

skeptic7
                        Participant

Aaron;
                          what would happen if you baked the bread in some sort of covered container? Like a turkey roaster that wouldn't have enough thermal mass to make a difference but would keep the hot air from blowing directly across the bread. I'm too lazy to do that experiment on my own and I don't have convection oven. I've had good luck with cloches and dutch ovens but I haven't tried anything like a relatively light weight roasting pan.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

One of the ideas for a covered container is to cover a baking sheet with a disposable aluminum foil turkey roasting pan. I haven't tried that yet. (I think you're supposed to take it off about half way through the baking time.)

That would certainly keep the drafts off the loaf before it sets up, as well as adding a bit of steam.

Italiancook
                            Participant

I made Joan's 30-Minute Coffee Cake. I added 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon to the dry ingredients. It also has cinnamon in the streusel. I used buttermilk and didn't add a little extra. Normally, when I use buttermilk in place of regular milk, I have to add some extra to avoid a dry batter. But this recipe was plenty moist without any extra. I like the finished product. Thanks for sharing, Joan.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

I'm glad you liked the coffee cake Italiancook.I'm fixing to make one now to take to my husbands uncle's home,he's like a brother to him.He has been sent home with hospice,he was on dialysis and they can't do anymore.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

Last night on youtube I saw Chef John of Food Wishes make apple turnovers and I thought I'd make that. Then I thought I'll just make a pie but I only had 3 apples. So I added a cup of frozen blueberries to it and made apple blueberry pie. I used Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust dough, the kind you unroll (they really are a good crust option for when you're feeling a little lazy). For the top crust I cut out circles using a doughnut cutter. It's still cooling off so I don't know how it turned out taste wise.

pie

Attachments:
                                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.