What are you Cooking the week of February 9, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of February 9, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I haven't even started thinking about today's supper yet, have you?

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Leftovers rule.

RiversideLen
        Participant

As I am out of previously prepared foods, i.e. leftovers, and I failed to pull something out of the freezer, it will be a burger.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

We're probably doing either creamed chipped beef on toast or creamed tuna on biscuits.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

We're having green Italian beans cooked with red potatoes and creamed corn.My husband still isn't eating well so whatever he wants that's what we're having.One day he seems OK the next not so much.I know for sure the bronchitis is gone and he's doing so good with not smoking but has no appetite.

chocomouse
              Participant

I had some of the tomato soup I made yesterday, husband had chili, and Deli Rye Rolls from the freezer.

BakerAunt
                Participant

On Monday, I made another batch of yogurt. I have my system worked out now. I may see if I can find an additional set of jars for the yogurt maker, so that I can always have yogurt ready. Kenwood does not make it any more, but I think that similar ones are made by other companies.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Tonight we had baked pork tenderloin,mashed potatoes and garden peas.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

We've had takeout the last two nights because my ankle has been bothering me since Saturday, and it hurts to stand up to cook. Not sure what I did to it, but I'm back to wearing the ankle brace I got when I chipped a bone in my ankle several years ago. (This is an ankle that's been injured several times during my life, starting with an ice skating accident when I was about 9.)

I've got several kitchen projects I was hoping to work on this week, not sure which of them I'll even get to at this point, much less finish.

chocomouse
                      Participant

Joan, I curious about the "green Italian beans" that you cooked the other night. What kind of bean is that? I'm connecting back to the Daily Quiz about fava beans. Growing up with a garden, we always called fava beans "Italian" beans. I'm talking about the whole bean, not just the seeds inside the "pod". They are flat, and not real long, not like a so-called green bean, string bean, etc. They're not real long because we pick and eat them (or freeze or can) while they are still young and tender, so maybe 3 inches long. I have never grown and processed beans to get the seeds inside for storage and later cooking, although I've considered trying that.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Chocomouse when I was growing up we called them pole beans,they are flat but you never shell them.If fresh you just snap them in inch lengths and we like them cooked with red potatoes cut up or very small ones leaving the skin on the potato.The ones I cooked the other night was actually canned ones from grocery store.If you google Italian green beans the ones I use are Allens Italian green beans.When I cook fresh ones I pull the end that comes off the vine down the bean as it has a tough string sometimes.You can tell if it'll be tough or not.The beans are more pod than pea inside.When I googled it said some are called bush beans.We love them.I season mine with bacon or a small piece of hog jowl and a little salt.When I cook them fresh I cook beans a little to almost done then add potatoes till they are tender,canned ones I heat together at same time,quick and easy.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                          • This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                          S_Wirth
                          Participant

We love those Allen's Italian green beans, they come in a larger can than regular green beans, it seems.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Swirth I can get regular size 15 oz. or 28 oz. and a larger one.We love them.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

Yesterday I made tacos. The filling was ground pork mixed with diced roasted potatoes, sauteed diced eggplant, red bell pepper and carrots. I seasoned it with taco and chorizo seasoning I got from The Spice House. Took a soft corn tortilla and spread refried beans over it then wrapped it over a hard taco shell, then filled them. Really worked out good and tasted good.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Oh, those tacos sound so good, Len.

I have a memory of my mother making Italian Green beans, although I think she served them plain. I know that my family ate them occasionally when I was growing up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.