Daily Quiz for February 11, 2020

Home Forums Followups to Daily Quizzes Daily Quiz for February 11, 2020

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Which choice of ground beef is the best value?

[See the full post at: Daily Quiz for February 11, 2020]

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I missed it. I rarely buy ground beef now. It's more expensive here than when we lived in Texas. When I do buy ground beef, I buy what has the least saturated fat.

It's good to have the math formula for figuring this out, so I'll keep it in mind in case I'm cooking for a larger group without my dietary restrictions.

Italiancook
        Participant

I missed this. I rarely buy ground beef. When I do, I look for leanest. At least now, I know what it's costing me.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Missed it.

skeptic7
            Participant

I missed this.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

If I'm using anything lower than about 90% lean ground beef, I will generally drain it before using it. I haven't measured it, but I suspect the meat I'm getting after draining a higher fat product is comparable to the 90% lean meat, but at a much lower net price per pound. Which tastes better? Hard to pick a winner.

I remember reading an article about testing on various grades of lean meat, for the most part they're fairly close to the stated percentage of fat, but there can be a variance of several percent. They probably prefer to err on the side of having less fat than claimed.

I did try weighing the raw meat, the finished meat and the fat drained off a couple of times, the meat and fat usually added up to about 95% of the raw weight, I assume the difference was a combination of what's left in the pan and any moisture or fat loss due to evaporation.

My wife read an article years ago about a way to remove even more of the fat from ground beef after cooking and draining it. You put it in a pan of boiling water for 10-15 seconds. I think pouring boiling water over it from a tea kettle has about the same effect. I believe this is how the 'loose meat' sandwiches at a place like Made-Rite are prepared.

RiversideLen
                Participant

I thought I knew the answer just by looking at the choices and pulled out the calculator and confirmed it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.