What are you Baking the week of February 16, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of February 16, 2020?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I still haven't done anything with the 8 pounds of triticale grain my wife got from the wheat breeder at UNL. I've been researching triticale, it has kind of a mediocre reputation for breads, something I think the researchers are working on, currently most of the triticale being grown is used for animal feed. You can use it like rye in a wheat/rye bread, I may try that using a recipe I'm familiar with. (Probably not one of the Ginsberg recipes quite yet.)

I might also try it in some pain de campagne, it is a lean dough but with a small amount of whole wheat flour added for taste and texture.

I've also been thinking I might try making a wheat/triticale cracker, the structural issues with triticale shouldn't impact a flat bread much. Crackers are something I've not yet mastered, though, so it could be a real learning experience for me.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

Len your muffins look very good!

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

According to the USDA database, 1 cup of packed brown sugar is 220 grams, 1 cup of unpacked brown sugar is 145 grams (65%), so your 1/4 cup of unpacked brown sugar was probably the equivalent of just under 8 packed teaspoons.

Italiancook
          Participant

Follow-up on the Onion Buns. I didn't notice this when I had one with soup. Last night, I used one for a ham sandwich. There's too much sugar in these buns for my taste. Next time, I'll cut sugar in half. My husband thought the bun was "wonderful" with a roast beef sandwich.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Today I'm doing a test with some triticale. I"m making the Pain de Campagne recipe (again!), but only two batches of it this time, one using the amount of whole wheat flour called for in Peter's recipe and the other using triticale flour instead of the whole wheat flour. I'll be making baguettes from both batches of dough.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I made a mug cake, a one serving cake that you microwave in a mug or cup. I used a Pyrex measuring cup. Not bad but not great. But easy. Not sure that I'll do it again.

BakerAunt
                Participant

On Thursday, I again baked the Buckwheat Banana Cake that I first baked and posted about on February 1. I was able to score some marked down over ripe bananas when we grocery shopped earlier in the week, I made it with the same changes (half the salt, adding 2 Tbs. milk powder, and replacing the sour cream with nonfat Greek yogurt), but I baked it in two 3”x7” pans instead of the 8 1/2” x /x4 ½” one, so that I can freeze one. I don't make the frosting, which it really does not need, but I'm sure it would be wonderful.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

There are some mug cake recipes that are suppose to be more upscale, but I've never been impressed with the technique either.

chocomouse
                    Participant

I pulled a log of cranberry-coconut refrigerator cookies, made in December, from the freezer and baked about 3 dozen.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Ah, those emergency desserts in the freezer are so nice, Chocomouse.

To go with stew for Friday dinner, I made cornbread. I made it in two 5-well Nordic Ware heart muffin pans.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

On Saturday, I made Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers from the dough I made last week.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

I made a lemon supreme pound cake from Duncan Hines mix which is my husbands favorite with lemon glaze icing and it's all gone but one quarter left.he shared with a friend that runs our local little store like a 7-11.Thankfully my husbands appetite is back in full swing,just has to regain some weight and strength.

skeptic7
                            Participant

Joan, I'm glad your husband is enjoying eating again. I hope his strength returns quickly.

I did a bread based on Mrs. Cindy's Chocolate Cherry bread. I left out the cherries and use part buttermilk for the liquid -- about 1/2 cup buttermilk. I also sweetened with honey and increased the butter slightly. I also added a cinnamon swirl with brown sugar/cinnamon. I was thinking of Mexican chocolate when I planned this. This was placed in a normal loaf pan and let to rise overnight It was baked in a slow cooker for 3 1/2 hours till 190 degrees.
                              I was very pleased with the bread its very chocolatey with a cinnamon after taste. Not too sweet and it had risenvery nicely indeed being light and fluffy. I gave some away and the receipients liked it.

chocomouse
                              Participant

I made two loaves of bread using the KAF Super 10 blend.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.