What are you Baking the week of February 16, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of February 16, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm planning to make a chicken pot pie for supper using a hot water crust.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

I tried a tasteofhome.com recipe. It's titled, Grandma's Honey Muffins. I reduced salt by 50%. Used the 1/2 cup sugar called for (half sugar, half white Splenda), but next time, I'll only use 1/3 cup sugar. I had a problem mixing the honey into the wet ingredients and then into the dry. I left behind too much of this precious, endangered ingredient. One reviewer said to heat honey in microwave to make it mix in better, and that's what I'll do next time. The muffins are good, and I was pleased with the oven rise.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Another way to measure honey and other sticky liquids is to spray your measuring cup with a little oil before measuring. The honey will slide right out and the tiny amount of oil that comes along with it won't impact most recipes.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I always forget how soft a hot water pie dough is, even after refrigerating it, and I had some trouble getting the top on in one piece, so it won't be the prettiest pie I've made but it should still be a tasty one.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I wanted to use up some Greek yogurt and lemon juice, so I looked at cakes online, found three possibilities, and decided to use the one from Ciao Florentina as my base recipe:

I made a few changes in that I substituted in ½ cup barley flour for that much AP, and as I had no lemon zest, I added 1/8 tsp lemon oil. I have a Nordic Ware loaf pan with citrus slice design on top, so I chose that pan and used the Grease to coat it. I lowered the baking temperature to 325F and baked for 50 minutes, which was when the tester came out clean. (I baked it on the third rack up in my oven; Nordic Ware pans do better there.) I let it cool on a rack in the pan for 10 minutes while I made a glaze from another online recipe that combines 1/3 cup sugar and 1/3 cup lemon juice, which are heated together until the sugar dissolves and mixture is clear. I turned the cake onto a rack set over a tray and used a pastry brush to brush on the glaze. It was a lot of glaze. We will have it for dessert on Monday. I'll post then about taste and texture.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I made the pate fermentee for the steam tests tonight, I'll make the pain de campagne dough tomorrow and divide it into 12 ounce pieces for pre-shaping, then I should be able to do the rest, including the baking, on Tuesday.

This is going to make a lot more bread than the two of us could eat and I'm not sure I want to freeze that much, either, so I'll have my wife let people at her office know that there will be bread available on Wednesday.

I'm going to be interested to see whether there's much difference between methods.

skeptic7
                Participant

Mike;
                  How did the pie come out? Was it a one or two crust pie?

Italiancook
                  Participant

I baked KAF Onion Buns for sandwiches. I made a rookie mistake, and I know better. KAF offers a range of water, with instructions to use higher amount in winter. So I dumped in the whole 1 cup water, and it was too much. Even though I didn't really have a dough, I used my plastic scraper to plop it all into the greased bowl for rising. That gave me time to think about how to rectify the problem given I didn't have anymore KAF AP flour.

The recipe says to roll dough out on a lightly greased surface. I figured that meant the dough would shrink back when rolled. Nevertheless, I put Gold Medal flour on the board instead of oil. The dough had risen, and I gently kneaded in enough flour to take away some of the stickiness of the dough. Not all. I didn't want to work the dough so much it needed to rise again. It worked, and I have 8 beautiful sandwich rolls. Have no idea what they look like inside as I won't use these until tonight.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

It came out quite well, even though it wasn't very pretty. The crust is a bit less crisp/flaky than the last time I made this hot water crust recipe, I think I should have added a little more flour. My wife thinks I should have cut the chicken up a bit finer and I probably used too many carrots, but it was excellent for supper last night and I had another slice for lunch.

It was a two-crust pie made in a 9 1/2 inch pan, I used 60% of the pie dough for the bottom crust.

I'm working on an article that will deal with how to compute how much pie dough to make based on the size of your pie pan and the type of pie you're making, but I've got some testing to do for one part of it. Guess I'll just have to make more pie dough. :sigh:

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Did you try a stretch-and-fold or two? That will usually firm up a too-soft dough.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

On Monday, I baked two loaves of Grape Nuts bread and tried yet another variation. I used 2 ½ cups whole wheat flour and 3 cups bread flour. Two loaves of bread—one goes into the freezer until needed—seem to last about ten days in my house.

We had some of the lemon cake I baked yesterday for dessert. The flavor is good, and it has nice lemon flavor. I would bake the recipe again, but the cake is slightly on the heavy side in terms of texture.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
                          chocomouse
                          Participant

I made banana bread and added 1.5 cups of blueberries and a little lemon, lime, and orange juice.

Italiancook
                            Participant

I would have stretched & folded if I would have had some semblance of a dough. As it was, I had a stick-to-the-hands mess. I couldn't even get it out of the bowl without a scraper. When I plopped it into the greased bowl, my hope was that the flour would absorb the excess water during the proofing time. That somewhat happened. But, it still needed the little extra flour I worked into it on the board. I ate one of the rolls with soup for dinner, and the roll was delicious. I'm really pleased that sliced, no one would ever tell I had a dilemma. Hubby had a roast beef sandwich on a roll. He reports no complaints.

I have been in search for a replicate of an onion roll I had as a guest at a Madrigal Dinner at a high school in another state decades ago. It's taste has lingered with me. Over the years, I've tried every onion roll I can find in stores -- even when traveling. None have compared. The KAF Onion Bun is the closest I've come to the taste. But the one I'm searching for is softer. More like an onion dinner roll than a sandwich roll. So, the search goes on.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

I have a similar quest for a dinner roll I had in NYC about 25 years ago, so far I haven't made anything even remotely close to it.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

I made Lemon Blueberry Oat Muffins from the Quaker Oats site yesterday. I cut the sugar in half. For the topping I used 1/4 cup of loose pack brown sugar, not sure how that equates to the 2 tsp of firmly packed brown sugar the recipe calls for. I also used one whole egg instead of two egg whites as I only had a couple of eggs left in the carton. I made them in my KA mini cake pan that I use for my sandwich/burger buns. I also used buttermilk as I had a cup left in the bottle with a fast approaching best by date.

These muffins don't rise much at all as they contain more oats than flour. They came out pretty good, I like the way they taste and the texture. They have a nice crispy sugar topping that makes me forget the muffins themselves only had half sugar. They're not what I would call pretty, but I'll make them again.

muffins

Attachments:
                                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.