What are you Cooking the Week of June 28, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking โ€” (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of June 28, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I've seen one San Marzano tomato and a few blossoms, but most of the plants are on the small side for setting fruit, and it's been a bit too hot to set fruit anyway.

I'm hoping for 3 weeks of plants growing nicely, then a cool spell in late July and a nice crop of tomatoes 3-4 weeks later.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

Tonight we had a fried chicken breast,steamed cabbage and macaroni and cheese.

I took my sister home Sunday we had a great time.She and I played about 18 games of Rummy,did a little shopping and visited with family.All's quiet back at my home now.

RiversideLen
        Participant

I had a sandwich and soup.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Tonight we had spaghetti and meat sauce with garlic toast.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

We're having BLT's tonight.

chocomouse
              Participant

We had leftovers - pasta and a green salad.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Pizza

RiversideLen
                  Participant

I had a BLT with hummus for lunch (hummus took the place of mayo).

For dinner I made a stir fry with left over pork, had it over rice.

kimbob
                    Participant

Crustless quiche with ham in it. Salad on the side.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I made another batch of yogurt on Thursday.

Dinner tonight will be leftover pizza.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

We had cube steak,candied sweet potatoes and green beans.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

You guys must eat supper really early, we seldom have it before 6:30, in part because if my wife is at the office she doesn't leave until 5:30. Since March that hasn't been much of a factor.

She's thinking of cutting back to 32 hours in the fall, a shorter work day Mon-Thu and Fridays off. UNL has guaranteed full benefits to hourly staff who cut back to 32 hours.

kimbob
                            Participant

That's one of the perks of being retired. You can eat when you want, sleep when you want, spend all day doing what you want!! ๐Ÿ˜Š

cwcdesign
                              Participant

Hi Mike - I followed Bobby Flay's recommendations in Bobby Flay's burgers more carefully than I ever have. I had about a pound of 93% hamburger (my favorite). Instead of making 4 burgers, I made 3, so they were about 5 ounces each. Bobby's are about 6 ounces. I made them between 1/2-3/4" - he said 3/4. I usually would cook them (I have a gas grill) at medium heat, but this time I started at medium high and then decided to really experiment and turned back to high which is his recommendation. 3 minutes first side, 3 minutes second side and then 1 minute for cheese. I let them rest for 5 minutes. I didn't cut into them and I didn't use my thermometer. Go figure. Simple is usually the best.

Oh, he said to put an indent with your thumb on one side because that helps with the shape. I seasoned them with salt and pepper and then brushed both sides with canola oil - again his recommendation.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

Having the center thinner than the outside edges is a common recommendation, I think it helps to keep the burger from swelling up and getting really thick in the middle, which then helps when trying to get the entire patty done but not overdone.

Another trick I've read but never tried it to put a small ice cube in the center of the patty. I don't think our ice maker would do well for that, it makes top-hat shaped ice cubes.

I usually make 3 ounce patties these days using a slider press. I cook them 6 minutes on the first side and 5 1/2 minutes on the second side, as we like them well done (at least 168 degrees in the center.)

Our grill is about 24 years old and needs to be replaced, but I'm not eager to spend the money on a new one, certainly not one of the $2500 and up Napoleon grills.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.