Covid-19 Discussions and Stories

Home Forums General Discussions Covid-19 Discussions and Stories

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 268 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Whole wheat flours go rancid faster than ones that are mostly endosperm, and I think semolina is a mostly-endosperm flour, because they have more oil in them.

But a good flour smells good an a bad flour smells 'off'.

cwcdesign
      Participant

On Saturday our company FINALLY required all members and guests to wear face coverings in all public spaces. We were given to put signs on our doors that say “Face Coverings Required” and we can can ask them to go get a mask if they come in without one. Back in March, the store had been rearranged so that you couldn’t come straight to the counter so we are able to enforce that as well. I’d say compared to last week and Saturday when 80% or more did not wear masks, almost everyone is now. But, those who don’t, it’s interesting.

A few people hav3 told me they don’t have masks - how could you not have one, or a bandana in this day and age. 2 men came in t9day and were looking at the menu and when I said they needed masks they said they didn’t have them and I said I was sorry they would have to leave. They were surprised we wouldn’t serve them anyway and acted as if it was our loss. 2 young women (late teens/early 20s) left nicely and came back with their masks. I thanked them and they apologized!
        Most people are thanking us for taking care of them.

Our county numbers are skyrocketing - as of yesterday we were up to 547, but I know the number is higher today. My Mom’s place still has no cases and one of my coworkers dad is director of the other nursing home/assisted living and they have had no cases.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Two restaurants near us, Zoup and Jummy's Egg, weren't able to stay open after the shutdowns, and now have closed permanently. Won't be the last, I fear. Although Zoup did take-out, they had a model that was probably geared more to dining in, especially giving small samples of their 12 soups of the day.

cwcdesign
          Participant

The count was up to 1487 in the county yesterday and my mom’s community reported its firs5 cases - 1 Member and 2 team members - ugh

BakerAunt
            Participant

I'm sorry to hear about the cases in your Mom's community, CWCdesign. I hope that the place is able to contain the spread.

Our county is now up to 544 cases and in the past week there have been 5 deaths. The "positivity rate" is 11.2% today, and it keeps climbing. We know our zip code had eight cases as of last Monday (those are weekly numbers), and we heard from a reliable source that at least three people in the town-lake area have tested positive.

Oh, yes, our numbers do not include people whose official residence is elsewhere. So the people who fled to their vacation homes here when the pandemic began, and those here for the summer, who may have or have had Covid-19, are not reflected in those numbers. We really are flying blind.

So are people being more careful? No. Indeed several big events are happening starting tonight and continuing into next week: concert, town garage sale, service club rummage sale, etc. Lots of people yesterday in store without masks. We would not go to the store at all if we did not need to re-fill our water bottles, as our well water is not great for drinking (lots of iron). We are starting to research Reverse Osmosis systems.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

We installed a R/O system in our kitchen when we built the house, they're a bit of work to maintain, there are several filters and they all have to be replaced periodically. When it broke the last time, I just turned it off.

BTW, I think they waste a lot of water, because they're always running. YOu also have to be careful what you use R/O water in, it has so much of the mineral content removed that it can damage some pans.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Thanks, Mike. Maybe the small R/O system is not the way to go. Of course, there does not seem to be a good way to go....

We tried an iron filter for the apt. It filled far too quickly to be practical, and we ended up getting a separate water softener system for the apt.

What we were thinking of was a small system that we could put in the garage beneath the apt. that would just be for drinking water. What we fill up with at the grocery is the product of R/O. I didn't know it could damage aluminum pans.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

You may need to talk to a water expert, and I don't mean Culligan.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Today's Cathy Commiserations cartoon is a comment on some of the Pandemic Cooks and Bakers:

https://www.gocomics.com/cathy-commiserations/2020/07/13

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

I like that BakerAunt!

cwcdesign
                        Participant

Cute.

We were up another 100 cases over the weekend

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Our numbers went up by 40 in our county since Friday. It's probably higher, especially in our town, since the numbers are only for the people whose permanent residence is in this county.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Our county public health department issued a mask order on Friday which begins on Monday.

cwcdesign
                              Participant

We get to require masks at the store, but our illustrious (?) governor has again decided to over rule the county governments so you still get people who try not to. If they won’t (or don’t have) put on a mask we ask them to step outside and then we’ll help them. A few really don’t like it. Most people are good about it though and many are appreciative. The county is currently reporting 1,834 cases

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

Lincoln has a mask order starting today. Update: The governor is looking into whether he can overrule the mayor. This kind of petty fighting isn't going to make COVID19 go away. :sigh:

Stores like WalMart, CVS, Walgreens and Target all are requiring masks for all people in their stores.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 268 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.