Mon. Sep 28th, 2026

Mike Nolan

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,336 through 4,350 (of 8,094 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of October 11, 2020? #26876
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

      My wife wants bagels for supper, so I've got bagel dough rising.

      in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of October 4, 2020? #26870
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

        I was going to do an eye of round but both of us were feeling a bit off today, so we wound up just having oatmeal. I'll do the eye of round another time, I threw it in the freezer for now.

        in reply to: The “approachable loaf” #26866
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

          The Bread Lab folks at Washington State are IMHO focused more on commercial bakers than home bakers. They've got some very talented people, but this is NOT a recipe I would recommend to inexperienced bakers.

          A step called 'full development' with no further detail might confuse even some experienced bakers.

          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of October 4, 2020? #26861
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

            We had creamed tuna on some croissants we bought at the farmer's market on Sunday. (Biscuits would have been better, we both agreed.)

            in reply to: Covid 19: The Next Six Months #26839
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

              Personally, I think they were something that wasn't ordered (at least for that store) and they really didn't know what to do with. I've only seen the baby ones in Nebraska a few times in 40 years. Most of the time they only have the jumbo ones, which are a lot more work to prepare and not as succulent.

              There was a vendor at the farmer's market who was trying to grow artichokes last year, they only got a few tiny ones really late in the season. I don't know if they tried them again this year, we haven't been to the farmer's market much this year with the COVID-19 issues.

              in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of October 4, 2020? #26835
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

                We had sandwiches with some of the last of the tomatoes from the garden.

                in reply to: Covid 19: The Next Six Months #26832
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

                  You're assuming supermarket managers have any idea about who their customers are or what people do with flour and other ingredients. IMHO, they buy bleached flour because they can put it on really cheap specials, like 99 cents a bag.

                  I remember a few years ago I found some baby artichoke hearts at the nearby 'discount' grocery chain location. Once folks found they had them, they disappeared from the shelves quickly. (People were coming from across town to get them once the word got out.)

                  About a year later I asked the produce manager if they were going to get them again and he said no, because their customers are mostly 'lower income'. FWIW, this part of town has some of the most expensive real estate in the county.

                  in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of October 4, 2020? #26828
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

                    We had been planning to go to a family gathering in Omaha for Thanksgiving, but even if it is held this year, I don't know that we'll go. I was suppose to make an apple pie for it this year, last year I brought an assortment of breads and made the gravy after I got there. (Some people find making gravy a distraction, I enjoy making gravy, I just don't get a chance to make it that often here.)

                    FWIW, I saw an article in the Wall Street Journal that says turkey ranchers are producing more small turkeys this year, assuming that there won't be as many big family gatherings needing a big bird. I haven't looked in the stores to see if the local supply reflects that trend.

                    in reply to: Covid 19: The Next Six Months #26827
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

                      Unbleached flour was hard to find before the shortages started around here. Some stores carry mostly bleached flours. I do keep some on hand, mainly for cookies.

                      in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of October 4, 2020? #26813
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

                        I made some chicken salad, which is probably not the best thing to pair with ratatouille.

                        in reply to: Covid 19: The Next Six Months #26804
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

                          I saw the same article, I think on the WSJ but it might have been on the wire services so it could have appeared in several places.

                          There are limits to how long they can hold products, and of course that won't work for perishables. In some states there's an inventory tax, too.

                          in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of September 27, 2020? #26795
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

                            I'm making another batch of the semolina/austrian malt bread today. I used up the last of it for croutons.

                            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 27, 2020? #26792
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

                              The potato leek soup was great, my semolina/malt bread made excellent croutons.

                              in reply to: British vs. American Self-Rising Flour #26791
                              Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

                                I've seen something that MIGHT have been Italian 00 flour in a tiny bag (1 pound) for an outrageous price. I think I've also seen some type 00 flour at a store that specializes in European products.

                                in reply to: 2020 Gardens #26784
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

                                  Possibly, though I doubt we need a big batch of it, there must be 10 pounds or more of eggplant, well over a dozen of them. I usually make it with a combination of eggplant and summer squash, plus sweet red peppers, onions and tomatoes. I need to buy some leeks, I'll ask my wife if she wants ratatouille before I go to the store.

                                  Based on how the tomato plants look this morning, it doesn't look like we got a hard freeze overnight here, though there may have been parts of the area that got one.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 4,336 through 4,350 (of 8,094 total)