What are you Baking the Week of August 23, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of August 23, 2020?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

The bread looks good, Mike.

I baked my sourdough pan pizza for Saturday dinner. I topped it with homemade sauce from the freezer, Canadian bacon, mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, red bell pepper from our garden, green onion, black olives on my half, and freshly grated Parmesan on top.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

BakerAunt that pizza sounds good,Mike your bread looks nice too!

Italiancook
        Participant

Good lookin' bread, Mike!

I made Better Homes & Garden's Blueberry Muffins. I also used a technique from KABC's Department Store Blueberry Muffins. I mashed half the blueberries and left half whole. The recipe uses only 3/4 cup blueberries, so mashing some of them makes them look more blueberryer.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

It's bread that's best with something savory, it goe well with the ham, toasting it enhances the onion taste.

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

I made a double batch of sourdough sandwich bread. I made a 2.25 lb sandwich load, a 1.5 lb batard to see if I could shape it and what were supposed to be buns but turned into rolls. Both loaves suffered blowouts.

It was the first time I've mixed it by hand as anything this big will overflow my mixer. I think it needed more water. When my dough is wetter and slacker the blowouts do not happen and the buns stay flatter. When the dough is tighter that when I have blow outs and I get some very nice, round rolls instead of flatter buns.

I also made some of BA's Sourdough Crackers. I baked one batch with the oven door open to see if allowing some moisture to escape would crisp them up. It did not. The edge crackers are always crisp but the middle ones are a little soggy. I may need to not just turn the pans but actually move the crackers around during baking.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Aaron--If you have a convection setting on your oven, you might try that. I now use the convection setting, and I cut the time. I also turn the tray around halfway through.

aaronatthedoublef
                Participant

Thanks BA. My oven does some regular convection when adjusting the heat but I can also turn on the fan full time. I will try that.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

A couple of other thoughts, Aaron. When I take the crackers out, I make sure that they are all disconnected from each other (cut apart with knife if necessary). I then slide them off the parchment and leave them on the hot baking sheet to cool down. Again, they should not be touching each other, as KABC says that will cause sogginess. Taking them off the parchment has the added benefit of letting me re-use it to roll out the dough for the next sheet.

skeptic7
                    Participant

It was wonderfully cool yesterday so I had cheese pizza and two batches of blueberry cornbread and chicken lentil soup. I gave one of the blueberry cornbread away and am eating the other one.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

It is cool enough today that I have the patio door open, though I may have to close it later this afternoon.

I'm making another semolina/malt bread loaf today, next time I plan to make it in a Pullman pan, I'm working out how much dough that will take.

chocomouse
                        Participant

Today I made a pecan pie, my husband's request. I also made two loaves of sandwich bread, using whole wheat, AP, oatmeal, and Super 10 Blend.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.