Covid-19 Discussions and Stories

Home Forums General Discussions Covid-19 Discussions and Stories

Viewing 13 posts - 256 through 268 (of 268 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

Sorry for your loss, cwcdesign. These things are never easy to deal with but it must be even more stressful now.

BakerAunt
      Participant
        cwcdesign
        Participant

You all are so sweet. I really appreciate. It is hard to believe it has been a week. Sometimes I’m numb and feel like I’m going through the motions, but I think it’s good being back at work.
          On Friday we were were up to 2400 cases with 48 deaths. My friend who was helping with Moms meds, got a negative result.

I had a woman who came in today who didn’t put her mask on until she say me and I said you’re actually supposed to have it on when you come in the door. And said she was negative as if she was no threat to anyone. Just because you had one negative test does not mean you might not get it another - sheesh. Good thing I had my mask on!

BakerAunt
          Participant

I'm glad your friend's test came back negative, Cwcdesign.

I think that you, and the rest of the Nebraska Kitchen family, will appreciate Sunday's Frazz comic strip:

https://www.gocomics.com/frazz/2020/08/09

Our local email list for the town and lake area had an email on Friday that stated the beach lodge would be closed yesterday for professional sanitization due to Covid, and that there would be no lifeguards from now on. Another email announced that one church would not be meeting in person for the next two Sundays. It's not hard to put 2 + 2 together and know that it is definitely in town. As of last Monday, there were 23 cases in our zip code.

So what did I see driving to the grocery this morning? About a dozen young men--high school age, but clearly part of the summer crowd, jaywalking in a large group over to a local restaurant. I wonder if they went inside like that?

cwcdesign
            Participant

Only if the restaurant let them. We FINALLY got a directive which to me is stronger than a policy. No one is allowed in the Market without a mask and we are not allowed to even take an order outside if they’re not wearing a mask. We don’t have to accommodate people not wearing masks at all.

We will be allowed to have a family service under the trees outside and/or a burial. We will have a Celebration of Life for Mom when we are allowed to congregate in the church again. I would probably consider an outside Celebration if that were allowed sooner. At least she was cremated.

I loved the cartoon BA!

RiversideLen
              Participant

If a little is good, more must be better, right? Well, not always. I found this interesting. Why 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Is a Better Disinfectant Than 99% Isopropyl Alcohol When It Comes to COVID-19 It's on Martha Stewart's website.

BakerAunt
                Participant

We were in Walmart yesterday, in another county, having combined a routine medical visit with shopping in the area. It was early in the morning, around 9 a.m. It wasn't crowded, but there were FOUR people without masks, and the store personnel did nothing. They shopped and checked out like everyone else. We had to dodge around a couple of them. While that county does not have a mask mandate, the STATE does, and this county has seen a steady increase in cases.

I hope that you are doing ok, CWCdesign. You have had a difficult month.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Gee, around here the WalMarts all have someone stationed outside the door and won't let anyone in without a mask.

BTW, add Wheat Chex to the list of things that have gotten scarce. And hot dog prices are up major league, the brand we usually buy went from $3.99 a package to over $5.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

The Walmart we usually shop in the next town over also has someone stationed outside to stop anyone without a mask, and they also track the number of people in the store at any given time. I'm not sure why the one we shopped yesterday did not.

I was happy that I could buy two bags of King Arthur AP for the same price as before the pandemic hit. However, there were only three bags on the shelf. I'm not sure if we just hit them on a day when they were re-stocking or not. I already had two bags at home, but I bought these additional two because I have "Pandemic Paranoia."

Italiancook
                      Participant

I understand "Pandemic Paranoia," BakerAunt. I have it, too. I planned to buy 5 lb. KABC bread flour & another 5 lb. KABC AP. My husband pointed out that we don't have room for more.

Don't recall where, but I read an article that sounded like doom and gloom for the home cook. Some of the products in short supply now will never again appear on the shelves. Businesses are streamlining their offerings and permanently doing away with the poor sellers (some of which I buy). In addition, for the products they are having trouble procuring ingredients, they're permanently eliminating some of those products. The article didn't list any specific products on the chopping block.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I think the WSJ had an article a while back that suggested grocery stores might permanently reduce their SKUs by 25% or more. I don't know if that means they plan to just have more of the items they continue to stock or what they plan to do about empty shelves.

One of the grocery stores near us put in couple of fashion aisle two years ago, but I hardly ever saw anyone shopping there and earlier this year they converted them back into space for more grocery store-like products.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Italian Cook--Tell your husband that there is ALWAYS room for more flour!

I used to wait for the Christmas season, when flour went on special (Gold Medal or Pillsbury unbleached), and then I would stock up, placing the bags in large plastic containers until needed. I recall Frick, from the Baking Circle, mentioning that she did the same thing, putting bags in roaster pans, etc.--much to her husband's puzzlement when he would discover them.

By the way, Bob's Red Mill has semolina flour available on their website again--or at least they did when I looked this afternoon.

Italiancook
                            Participant

Thanks, BakerAunt, for the tip on the semolina! Also enjoyed hearing about unique places to store flour.

Viewing 13 posts - 256 through 268 (of 268 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.