What are you Cooking the Week of August 30, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of August 30, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

a thread for the week's cooking exploits.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

We had breakfast for supper pan fried sausage,eggs and grilled toast.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I had a club sandwich with turkey, ham, tomato and cheese.

BakerAunt
          Participant

On Sunday afternoon, I made another 3 1/2 cups of tomato sauce from our garden tomatoes. I will freeze it.

Dinner tonight was leftover sourdough pan pizza.

chocomouse
            Participant

Sunday dinner was chicken patties, pasta salad with kale, onions, black olives, feta and Ranch dressing, and steamed summer squash and zucchini.

navlys
              Participant

I made a variation on "my year with Chris Kimball"'s barbecued chicken thighs. I baked instead of grilled the thighs. I loved the idea and taste of smooshing a piece of ground raw bacon on the boneless chicken thighs. I used the spice combo but used regular bbq sauce mixed with peanut butter. Got a thumbs up from the hubby.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Your husband is a lot more adventurous than mine, Navlys. 🙂

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

We had leftover beef roast with gravy,I added a tablespoon of A-1 Sauce to the gravy and it gave it a nice taste,we had this over toast with mashed potatoes.

Bakeraunt my husband doesn't like to try anything new.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

My husband pan-cooked pork for dinner. I roasted two halves of a table queen squash for 40 minutes, then stuffed it with a mixture of bulgur, sautéed celery a bit of sage and parsley and onion powder, then topped with a bit of grated 2% cheese.

Joan--I can get my husband to try new recipes as long as I ease him into it, leave out the fresh onion, and avoid certain spices. He has been surprised that he enjoys most of the different kinds of squash that I've cooked over the past three years.

chocomouse
                      Participant

We had grilled steak -- a rarity in this house. It's just not one of my preferred proteins. Sides were pasta salad and cucumbers.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

I took some ground chicken, mixed it with bread crumbs that I hydrated with chicken broth, an egg, seasoned it with a little celery seed, onion and garlic powder and paprika. Then I formed it into patties and baked them. I overdid the chicken broth a little and it could have used a little salt but overall I am happy with it. I ate one on a bun and had a salad with it.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Len that chicken patty sounds like something I'd like.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I'm making lacto fermented tomato water today, one of the Noma recipes, using two bowls of tomatoes from the garden.

The process is similar to making sauerkraut, I'll run the tomatoes through my pulp extractor then add 2% salt and let it ferment for about a week.

The water is then separated from the pulp using a sieve and cheesecloth The water can be used for things like a fish sauce or poaching liquid, and you can also use it as a pickling brine. The pulp can be used like tomato paste, I may try it on a pizza.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

I fried a chicken breast,steamed broccoli with cheese sauce and baked sweet potato.

chocomouse
                                Participant

Our dinner tonight was brats on home-made buns with roasted onions and peppers, and refrigerator pickles.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.