What are you Cooking the Week of August 23, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of August 23, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Still hot here, so not a lot of cooking planned.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I'm cooking spaghetti and meat sauce with garlic toast.

So after I get spaghetti made my husband says he's not hungry,snacking this afternoon,so spaghetti is in fridge for later on this week and I had leftover pizza,husband had cereal and a sausage sandwich.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Joan Simpson.
        RiversideLen
        Participant

I had leftover rice from yesterday's stir fry, so I made fried rice with mushrooms, zucchini, peppers and leftover bbq pork. It came out pretty good.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Tonight we had meatloaf,mashed potatoes and green beans.

RiversideLen
            Participant

I had a bbq pork sandwich and a salad.

BakerAunt
              Participant

For Monday dinner, I roasted chicken thighs, rubbed with olive oil and sprinkled with Penzey’s Tsardust Night. I also used the first Table Queen acorn squash from our garden. I cut it lengthwise, scooped out the seeds, rubbed it with a bit of olive oil, then roasted it cut side down on parchment paper at 400F in the countertop convection oven for 40 minutes. I then removed it and filled each squash with a mixture of cooked bulgur (left over from another night) that I had combined with sautéed chopped celery and red bell pepper (from our garden!). I added a bit of dried sage and onion powder. Once I had the squash filled, a sprinkled a little 2% pre-grated (only form in which I can get low-fat cheddar here) over it, then returned to the convection oven at 375F for 20 minutes. It came out very well, and I like the taste of the Table Queen more than other acorn squashes that I have tried. My husband liked it too, which is good, because there are a lot more Table Queen squashes out there.

BakerAunt
                Participant

To go with leftover roast chicken thighs, I made that Penzey’s Summer Quinoa Salad (the one with broccoli) on Tuesday. There are leftovers for another two nights. Win!

chocomouse
                  Participant

Tonight we had BLTs.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Tonight we had a beef roast cooked in crock pot with mushroom soup and some dried onion,it was OK,rice,cooked carrots and I made carrot salad with the last of the carrots,I had 2 boiled eggs in fridge so that was made into deviled eggs.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

Today I made a quart and a half of pasta sauce from my garden tomatoes. I put in some meatballs I had in the freezer and had it with bow tie pasta. It was pretty good.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

On Wednesday afternoon, I tackled the increasing pile of tomatoes from our garden on the counter. I cut up enough to overfill a 2-liter measuring cup/bowl. I cooked them down, after initially sautéing minced garlic in olive oil in a 4-quart sauté pan. I added 1 tsp. sugar. I let them cook down to make 2 cups tomato puree, which will be used on two future sourdough pan pizzas. I will freeze on and use the other near the end of the week, since it is supposed to cool down enough for baking pizza.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I picked a small bowl of tomatoes yesterday, probably 2-3 pounds. I could probably pick another bowl about the same size today. In a week or two I should have enough to consider making sauce or something else with them.

chocomouse
                            Participant

I picked a 5-gallon pail of tomatoes, Romas and Celebrities. Tomorrow I plan to make ketchup (first time making that) and salsa and tomato sauce - all for the freezer. I also made zucchini brownies, and froze 2 pints of shredded zucchini for the winter. I also froze 5 pints of broccoli. This broccoli is side shoots from the original heads that I picked in July.

Our dinner was ribs, cole slaw, and summer squash.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

We've tried making ketchup a couple of times, it is never as good as Heinz, though. I could make some tomato relish, but I've still got several quarts of it from the batch I made 3 years ago (it lasts nearly forever in the fridge because it has a lot of vinegar in it.) Most of what's left is the batch that got over-cooked a bit, though.

Something I've never tried making is salsa for tacos, maybe I'll try that some time. (No cilantro, though, my wife has the gene that makes it taste like soap.)

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

Today we had homemade Sloppy Joes on top of bread.

I never liked the homemade ketchup either,my grandmother & mom made it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.