Mon. Sep 28th, 2026

Mike Nolan

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,351 through 4,365 (of 8,094 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: 2020 Gardens #26779
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

      Well, we're up to 35 for the predicted low tonight, but still have freeze warnings.

      We picked any tomatoes that were showing much color, got about 10 to 12 pounds of them. We also picked a big bowl of eggplants, not sure what I'm going to do with them. We usually give most of them to a friend, but she's in quarantine due to covid exposure.

      in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 27, 2020? #26778
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

        I made about 12 quarts of chicken stock today, and will have 3 breasts worth of meat for something like chicken salad. (I added a package of bone in breasts from the freezer to five pounds of backs, also from the freezer, and I threw in some chicken feet for collagen.)

        We had a lavash pizza for supper. Tomorrow I may make potato leek soup.

        in reply to: 2020 Gardens #26776
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

          They've raised the predicted low for tonight from 33 to 34, but we have frost advisories. I'm going to pick what I can this afternoon and hope the rest survive. My wife has some planters she wants to move into the garage for a few days, then possibly into the house for the winter.

          The hummingbird feeders will come down, too, as I think we saw just one all day yesterday.

          We've been looking at getting an Aerogarden, our son has been sending us shots of all the stuff he's getting from his, including several dozen poblano peppers. I know he's got some cherry tomatoes that have set, I don't know how many he'll get. (I assume it is a dwarf/bush style plant.)

          I still want to do some more work with the grow lights we have, I think we started the bedding plants a couple weeks too late this year, but the outdoor weather wasn't all that cooperative for gardening anyway. I alsodon't think we had the right mix of soil/nutrients for growing things beyond the transplant point.

          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 27, 2020? #26770
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

            I'm getting ready to make a big pot of chicken stock, some of which will be used to make potato leek soup for the weekend. I may need to bake some bread for croutons, too.

            in reply to: 2020 Gardens #26762
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

              They're still forecasting a low of 33 early Friday morning.

              in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 27, 2020? #26750
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

                We had spaghetti with oven cheese toast.

                in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 27, 2020? #26744
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

                  We had cheese souffle with a mushroom sauce

                  in reply to: Wondering about Grapeseed Oil #26738
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

                    I wonder if the viscosity is related to the amount of saturated fat?

                    in reply to: Wondering about Grapeseed Oil #26735
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

                      The USDA says that 1.5 gets rounded up to 2 and 1.499 gets rounded down to 1. A tablespoon of oil is around 13 grams. So, a difference of less than 1 percent in terms of the amount of saturated fat present could cause what has to be listed on the label to flip from 1 to 2, a difference of 7.5 percent.

                      in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of September 20, 2020? #26728
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

                        I made a small Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake last night, and had some at lunch with some strawberries.

                        in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 20, 2020? #26720
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

                          It is supposed to be in the 90's here on Sunday, but the high for next Tuesday is 67 and the low for next Thursday/Friday is around 36. BRRR!

                          in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of September 20, 2020? #26718
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

                            What I generally do is shape bagels then let them rise long enough to get the water boiling. They're supposed to float when they've risen enough, mine always do.

                            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 20, 2020? #26715
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

                              We had chili out of the freezer.

                              in reply to: Covid 19: The Next Six Months #26714
                              Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

                                The Wall Street Journal says wholesale tea prices were at a multi-year low due to oversupply last winter. but have risen 50% since March. Weather, labor shortages and logistical issues are all factors.

                                I generally drink Irish tea (Lyons, mostly), I usually order a year's supply around this time.

                                in reply to: Wondering about Grapeseed Oil #26712
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

                                  Might have to do with the type of grape or the way it is processed (grape seed oil is a byproduct of wine-making.)

                                Viewing 15 posts - 4,351 through 4,365 (of 8,094 total)