What are you Baking the Week of August 23, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of August 23, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I think I may try that semolina rye bread today.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Despite the sprained ankle, which is healing more slowly than I would like, I was back in the kitchen on Sunday. I needed to use up the last of our blackberries. I had seeded them a couple of days ago, and I had a scant half cup. I did a mash up of my blueberry pie recipe and a seedless blackberry pie recipe that I found on the internet. I reduced both recipes, so that I used 1 ½ cup blueberries and the blackberry puree. I made the two fillings separately, then combined them. I made a half recipe of my oil crust and used a Chicago Metallic tart pan with four wells and removeable bottoms. I put just a bit of streusel on top. We each had one for dessert tonight, and they are delicious. I will write down what I did in anticipation of leftover blackberry puree next year.

We were also out of bread, so I baked three loaves of “Grandma A’s Ranch Hand Bread,” which is posted at Nebraska Kitchen, having been moved from the Baking Circle before KAF shut it down. I make my version with buttermilk and honey and a lot of whole wheat flour, as well as some flax meal. I have three fine loaves cooling on the rack. Two will be frozen, and the other one will be sliced at lunch tomorrow.

Italiancook
        Participant

Glad your ankle is well enough for you to have a kitchen adventure, BakerAunt. Hope it heals completely quicker than you expect.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Thank you, Italian Cook. It is better each day, but the process is slow.

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

I made my sourdough sandwich loaf and for the first time had NO BLOWOUTS! My kids had bread I did not make last week for the first time since March. We had a combination of store bread and bakery bread from a farmer's market. The store bread was what it was. The bakery bread was very disappointing. Spongy with not much rise. Decent taste but bad texture.

RiversideLen
              Participant

In spite of the heat I made my sandwich buns yesterday. Today I made a double batch of baked doughnuts. I had some pumpkin puree in the freezer so I used 3/4 cup to substitute for 3 of the eggs (I used one egg). I reduced the sugar by an once and a half. I made it with KAF whole wheat pastry flour. Then I made a ganche with Guittard semisweet chocolate wafers that I had bought from KAF and 2% milk.

donuts

Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                Joan Simpson
                Participant

Len your doughnuts look excellent!

BakerAunt
                  Participant

On Thursday evening, I baked our favorite blueberry pie, using the Carole Walter recipe in Great Pies & Tarts. I use my oil crust, and I cut the streusel in half. We are looking forward to cutting into it tomorrow.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

Thanks Joan. Baked doughnuts aren't as good as fried, but when you put the chocolate on them, it really narrows the gap.

Mmmm, BA, blueberry pie is one of my favs. I should make one soon.

aaronatthedoublef
                      Participant

Len, those are great. Mine always have a flat side. Violet actually prefers the baked to the fried which is fine by me.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Nice donuts.

It is supposed to be cooler here tomorrow, I'm hoping I can get some baking done, probably some kind of rye bread as I've got some ham I want to bake.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

I baked a loaf of banana bread to use up ripe bananas.I shared half of it with my sister.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I made the KAF Semolina Rye bread today, not my best shaping effort:

rye1

It called for 1 1/2 TB of dried minced onion, but I only put in about a teaspoon and that was PLENTY! The seeds on top are mostly poppy seed with a little caraway and charnushka.

I did put in the extra gluten, and a bit more pumpernickel flour than it called for, since that finished off the bag.

rye2

Attachments:
                              You must be logged in to view attached files.
                              chocomouse
                              Participant

I made KAF's Seeded Rye Sandwich Bread today, doubling the recipe for two loaves. I used pickle juice in place of the water, and oil instead of butter. I added dried onion (a Tablespoon), caraway, and charnuska seeds. It did not rise well -- I ended up giving it 5 hours, and it did get puffy, but didn't rise even a full inch; I felt it really was not ready yet. However, I put them into a cold oven set to 350, and they rose 2 inches above the sides of the bread pan! It also sort of blew out, or perhaps more correctly, lifted up the top of each loaf, more on one side than the other. I've had that happen a couple of times over the years, but very rarely, and I'm always amazed! I will try to remember to take photos tomorrow.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

The semolina rye bread is a bit on the heavy side, which I expected, but went well with the ham, which was marinated in ginger ale.

I may have to make it without the onion to see what difference it makes.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.