What are you Cooking the Week of August 23, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of August 23, 2020?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

One of my wife's sorority sisters married a guy whose father was a food chemist. He achieved some notoriety in the early 60's by publishing a list of Kentucky Fried Chicken's '13 secret herbs and spices'.

We made one batch of ketchup that had too much clove in it, but the next batch had no clove at all and just tasted wrong, so I'm pretty sure clove is one of the key spices in ketchup, but in moderation.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

I made spaghetti pie from the leftover spaghetti that I made earlier this week.I heated it a little then took about 4 oz. of cream cheese beat that with an egg,onion powder and a half cup of parmesan and a half cup of sharp cheddar cheese topped the spaghetti and baked about 30 min,I liked it but my husband didn't.I've made this many times and he's burned out on spaghetti,oh well he had blueberry yum yum for dessert that I made this morning,he said that had too much cool whip...go figure.

chocomouse
        Participant

Joan, what is blueberry yum yum?? It sounds delicious!

We had BLTs, again, although I have just a plain tomato sandwich while my husband has the works. But, when the garden tomatoes are ripe.... And today I made 2 pints of salsa and 2 quarts of tomato sauce.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Chocomouse--I've been having Bacon and Tomato (I never include lettuce) sandwiches for lunch since last week. I've decided that a single slice of turkey bacon, cut in half and lightly fried, comes close enough to the fatty bacon that I have to forgo. With 0.5g saturated fat and 200 mg. sodium per single slice, it works for me in setting off the excellent tomatoes we are growing.

On Thursday, I made another batch of yogurt.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Blueberry Yum Yum
              Prep Time
              25 mins
              Cook Time
              5 mins
              Total Time
              30 mins
              Servings: 10 to 12 servingsAuthor: Stacey Little | Southern Bite

Sponsored by Advertising Partner
              Sponsored Video
              See More

Mediavine
              Ingredients
              1 (10-ounce) package Lorna Doone Shortbread Cookies
              1/4 cup butter, melted
              1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
              1 cup powdered sugar
              2 (8-ounce) containers frozen whipped topping, thawed
              1 (21-ounce) can blueberry pie filling
              1 cup chopped pecans
              Instructions
              Preheat the oven to 350°. Crush the Lorna Doone cookies and reserve about 1/2 cup of the crumbs for the topping. Mix the cookie crumbs with the melted butter. Press them into the bottom of a 9x13-inch glass baking dish. Bake for 5 minutes and then cool completely.
              In a large bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, and 1 container of the thawed whipped topping by stirring by hand. Once thoroughly mixed, spread the mixture over the cooled crust.
              Drop dollops of the blueberry pie filling over the cream cheese layer and spread carefully. Sprinkle pecans over the pie filling. Top with the remaining container of whipped topping and sprinkle with the reserved crushed cookies. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.

Chocomouse this is the Blueberry Yum Yum I love this the only thing I change about this recipe is I buy just butter cookies as the Lorna Doones are expensive and the butter cookies are easier to find,sometimes I've used Keebler plain sandies,and I don't add the pecans in this dessert.It's a cool and easy dessert to make.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Shortbread isn't hard to make, have you tried making your own?

chocomouse
                Participant

Thanks for posting that recipe, Joan. And Mike, that was my first thought too: "I'll just use my shortbread recipe." But then I thought "no way!", I'll file it with my "quick and easy" recipes -- yummy foods I can throw together just by opening pre-packaged foods and transforming them into something new and delicious!

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Yes I have made shortbread cookies but I use store bought for this recipe.I love homemade short bread cookies.You're welcome Chocomouse and I hope you enjoy it,if you google that recipe it shows a picture.

Tonight I'm frying a pork chop,rice and tomato gravy,stewed squash and corn on the cob.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I've used shortbread as the base for an apple galette, though I haven't made it in a long time. (These days I prefer the Irish Apple Cake.)

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I made tomato sauce on Friday, using our bounty of tomatoes. I froze about 3 ½ cups. I have another ¾ cup that I have set aside to use in the next few days. For dinner, I made Salmon and Couscous with Penzey’s Greek seasoning. We had it with microwaved frozen mixed vegetables.

chocomouse
                        Participant

Our dinner was grilled chicken thighs, grilled potatoes drizzled with olive oil and Penzey's Foxpoint seasoning, steamed zucchini and summer squash, and a cucumber-onion salad.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

I made a small batch of tomato sauce today, used part of it for chicken meat sauce for pasta and the rest is in the freezer. For dinner I had penne pasta with said sauce and peas from the freezer.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

We had ham on the semolina rye bread, with potatoes au gratin made using the dried potatoes from a package mix but not the sauce mix, for that I made a Mornay sauce and added sour cream. Plus a salad.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Today I made hamburger steak and baked potato for my husband,I had a hamburger on light bread.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.